No announcement yet.

Air Compressor plumbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the 'pvc' air lines because they're so simple to run.

With that said, I've been pondering what this guy said and I'm coming to the conclusion that the days of air tools is rapidly coming to a close. If you paint, you need good, dry air - otherwise? the advantages of cordless far outweigh their detriments.

at 7:37

when I watched this, my first reaction was "I don't think so, what about battery life?" so I've been monitoring my own tool usage and not 100% there yet, but I'm close enough to suggest that buying several hundred dollars of air line and reels is akin to buying the best VCR money can buy....
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
      I don't see any electrical pcv conduct to run it through to keep it from the scrapers/meth heads that strip it out in 1/100th of the time it takes you to install it.
      The ONLY reason I went with copper was for moisture removal - it is my understanding that bare metal/copper will promote condensation far better than PVC. I am not about to lose that benefit by hiding it inside something else. As to the methheads - well I just can't live in fear. We have other segments of society in our area that perhaps could be as much of a concern.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

With that said, I've been pondering what this guy said and I'm coming to the conclusion that the days of air tools is rapidly coming to a close. If you paint, you need good, dry air - otherwise? the advantages of cordless far outweigh their detriments.

when I watched this, my first reaction was "I don't think so, what about battery life?" so I've been monitoring my own tool usage and not 100% there yet, but I'm close enough to suggest that buying several hundred dollars of air line and reels is akin to buying the best VCR money can buy....
        Aaron

I am sure it won't surprise you when I tell you how far out of the mainstream I am. I got my FIRST battery powered tools this year for Christmas!

With that said, I am hoping to get a cordless sawsall next. The air compressor was to give me the capability of cleaning up old parts (blast cabinet) and to power my die grinder and cutoff tool. It is probably a very poor investment as you said but that also matches my behavior well.

Comment

So, a little cutting and test fitting. Next step, will add the "T"s on the sides for compressor in and blast cabinet out and make it all one piece!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2657.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	724.5 KB
ID:	1228150

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
            So, a little cutting and test fitting. Next step, will add the "T"s on the sides for compressor in and blast cabinet out and make it all one piece!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2657.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	724.5 KB
ID:	1228150
            That's purty Allen, do you make shop calls?
            Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
            If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Aaron

I am sure it won't surprise you when I tell you how far out of the mainstream I am. I got my FIRST battery powered tools this year for Christmas!

With that said, I am hoping to get a cordless sawsall next. The air compressor was to give me the capability of cleaning up old parts (blast cabinet) and to power my die grinder and cutoff tool. It is probably a very poor investment as you said but that also matches my behavior well.
              It's why I phrased it more as a question then a recommendation.... kind of a 'something to consider' - I like air tools because they're compact and comparatively light - but then again, if you wish to see me rage, leave s**t on the floor in my shop or home - in my defense, though, some of my memorable injuries came from some lazy waste of oxygen leaving crap on the floor and me tripping over it.... point is my dislike of cords boarders on pathological.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

They don't last.
                not in a shop .
                batteries that can start fires when being charged most times overnight when no one is there to do anything about it.
                brushless motors and shafts with bushings not bearing.
                torque falling off a cliff, halved within 7-9 months of use.
                bulky . motors are not explosion proof and nothing like internal sparks of a motor and fuel fumes.
                sure, no cord/air hose. shops are burning to the ground because of these things.
                i'll pass.

Comment

just saw this... not sayin', just sharin'... not OCD... craftsmanship!
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

We been using Snap-On and Milwaukee for 10 years now.. Same batteries. Heavier, yes. But work real good!
                    One battery used in impact, drill and circular saw to redeck the car trailer.. Still juice enough for other jobs that weekend

Cheap HF, Black n Decker and so on are junk..

Still use my 9.6 volt Makitas At least 20 yrs old.. Still stronger than HF 18 volt cordlesses

Comment

looks like the coils I used to make to heat my tanks. Are you planning on adding a fan to cool the air?

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                        now that would be cool for a nitrous setup!

I am already freaking out about soldering all those joints up and not having any leaks.
                        Still trying to how to hold it while I solder the joints and keep everything lined up.
                        Got to get busy on it tomorrow as the compressor is supposed to show up tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

Use plenty of flux. Should go very well.
                          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Allen, I recently purchased this system, and will hopefully install it soon. Iron will have rust and particle issues with paint guns even with filters and water separator based on my experience.

Comment

"I am already freaking out about soldering all those joints up and not having any leaks.
                              Still trying to how to hold it while I solder the joints and keep everything lined up.
                              Got to get busy on it tomorrow as the compressor is supposed to show up tomorrow afternoon."

4 2x4s should support the whole rig and elevate it high enough off the ground to heat the joints. Use mapp gas as opposed to propane to heat the joints. It is hotter and you can invert the bottle. I used acetone to flush out my lines after soldering, a surprising amount of crap came out.

Steve

Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                                I'd say when the plumber owns copper mine, it is art and like most art I look at that and think "why" or "sicko"

Comment

Working...
                                X