Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller spoolmate 100

I came up with a good excuse to buy a aluminum mig gun for my miller welder

nice box, everything there. a caution, there are two prices, one with the switch you need, one without. This came with the switch

my miller 180 - what a great machine, does everything I need, not too big to do sheet metal, not to small to be unable to weld a car trailer

the aforementioned switch

installs in that blank spot with the sticker

wiring diagram inside - this gets updated

to this

maybe I should blow this out.... once every 10 years.... whether it needs it or not

I love that they have that yellow tag there that says "these are the wires you need to install the switch in"

I'd call it fool proof, but I got them.....
    note the switch itself doesn't mark on or off? 100% chance I'd get it wrong and sure enough

and a weld

and another

review
    it's really easy to use, and kind of easy to jam up. I like how well they thought out the documenting for the install, I wish they'd spent as much time on the wire feed. I've already eaten 2 tips (fused the wire) and had to pull the gun apart once to unspring the wire. Add to that that the rollers don't come far enough apart and it could have been better. That said, I did learn you can pull the drive wheels out with the gun intact and (once) get the springed wire out*

*what happens is the wire fuses to the tip because it was either going too fast or too slow, that stops the very soft wire dead.. the motor doesn't stop so the wire coils in front of the liner that goes to the tip.... with that said, even the brief bit I used it, I started to get the hang of it so I hope that jamming is more a newb thing then anything else
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Thanks for posting this. My Eastwood came with a spool gun but I've never taken the time to mess with it. Looks like it might be worth it.

I know our fabricator guy at work, who was an excellent aluminum TIGer, was VERY fussy about having REALLY clean metal before starting an aluminum weld. Is the spool gun as fussy about clean metal?

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
      Thanks for posting this. My Eastwood came with a spool gun but I've never taken the time to mess with it. Looks like it might be worth it.

I know our fabricator guy at work, who was an excellent aluminum TIGer, was VERY fussy about having REALLY clean metal before starting an aluminum weld. Is the spool gun as fussy about clean metal?

Dan
      yep needs super clean.... it's different kind of welding - aptly described as spray welding
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Sounds like a bait caster

Comment

I have not tried this but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzcyA6Z-8dk

Nick

Comment

are you using all argon as a shielding gas for the aluminum? Might just be holding the tip farther away and allowing more wire to be outside the top when you are welding.

Comment

Working...
            X