Here's weird - Ranger Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's weird - Ranger Edition

My daily driver is a 2004 Ford Ranger with the big Mazda V-6, and a 5 speed. When I turn a corner, the hot air stops blowing out my heater vents and I get cold air until I straighten out the wheel. WTF is up with that?
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Low on antifreeze?
    Short that turns off heat
    Flapper door free swinging..

Comment

Comment

I think it's the "time to trade it in" reminder.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I think it's the "time to trade it in" reminder.
          Hardly. This is the 3rd Ranger I've owned, and I don't sell them until they've gone over 300,000 miles. This one is just over 100,000....

I'll be checking out the suggestions of Tubbed Pacecar....

Comment

Just because you never heed the reminder, doesn't mean that that's not what it is.

The moving temperature flapper door sounds like an interesting candidate to me. Does it have a servo actuating it? does the temp control work properly?

My fabulous web page

Comment

On Vanna the Van it threw heat when accelerating and it turned out to be a leak in the vacuum reservoir - common problem with an internet solution. So I'd follow the internet suggestions - worked for me.

Dan

Comment

Does the ranger use vacuum or digital servos to control the HVAC system? I guess knowing that would help you diagnose it
                My fabulous web page

Comment

Frankly, I haven't gotten into it that far.... I'm waiting until it warms up a little to work on it.
                  Last edited by studemax; February 3, 2019, 08:37 AM.

Comment

did you google it? sometimes a common problem will pop up on specialized forums, and give you some good suggestions where to look for the problem.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                      ... When I turn a corner, the hot air stops blowing out my heater vents ...
                      You know, if PeeWee had popped off with a question like that you'd be giving him a rash of sh*t...

Comment

There is an actuator motor on the blend door. So, if it's going from heat to no heat, I'd say it's likely one of the pivot legs on the blend door has broken. (and likely the top one, which is where the actuator motor attaches to the blend door)
                        (actuator motors generally work....or don't, not intermittently, so less chance it's the problem)
                        If you buy a replacement blend door from Ford, they are an updated design (more robust), but the amount of work to get the factory one in there is nothing short of ridiculous. There are aftermarket outfits that have a replacement blend door, and many require you to cut an access hole in the heater box (dremel or soldering gun with cutting tip), after the new blend door is in & working, you can attempt to put the peice you cut out back, or just cover the hole with HVAC Aluminum foil tape.

Plenty of info out there if you have google;)

I was very fortunate on my 2008 Ranger, all it needed was the blend door actuator motor, but it was a PITA to get at the fasteners that hold it onto the heater box......and luckily for me, mine failed in Sept (a couple years back), so it wasn't that cold outside when I changed it out in my driveway, but I did turn the air blue with my constant stream of expletives.

James

Comment

You know, if PeeWee had popped off with a question like that you'd be giving him a rash of sh*t...
                          Incorrect. I only give him a hard time when he's asking for it.

Comment

stude: I've been waiting for word back from a friend that I emailed, as I couldn't remember the brand of the Blend Door kit he had used on his Navigator several years back.....just got an email, and it was from Heater Treater. Not cheap, but he told me he had no regrets about the $$ outlay.
                            But at the same time, I expect there are more choices now than there were several years back, so do your homework;)

Failure of your heat and/or A/C in your Ford Ranger is due to the failure of your blend door. Heater Treater replaces the cheap, plastic blend door with steel. Replacing the blend door with the same plastic part from the manufacturer WILL result in continued problems — the same system design problem that caused the failure in the first place WILL happen again. Heater Treater attacks the root cause of the failure by constructing hardware that is designed to meet the rigors of normal operation of the HVAC system, and last for the life of the truck. If you feel uncomfortable installing the repair yourself, go Here to find a HeaterTreater certified garage near you.

HTH
                            James

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X