No announcement yet.

Broken valve cover bolt:(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use carbide drills to pilot broken bolts when i'm drilling them out. Anything to try to stay centered! The drills you can buy for circuit boards are like 0.2mm and carbide (PCB's are tough buggers!). Because they're so common, they're cheap as dirt, too. However, carbide is crazy hard, but not tough at all, so you need a super rigid setup. Forget doing it by hand, ever. I wouldn't even use a magbase drill--if it's not in a press and clamped down, you're just begging for trouble, and breaking a carbide drill means the next step is EDM.

Comment

I used to work at a circuit board shop, broke more carbide tools and then you are stuck with the EDM to get it out. The carbide coated drills are cheap as dirt, not the full carbide.

I agree on the studs in valve covers though. Oil pan too.

Comment

TIG weld is how I get pesky broken bolts out. Heat up broken bolt dab some rod onto it and fusion weld bolt on and turn out. This always worked for me. I need to do a yuke-tube video. Yes I know nobody has a tig machine, Hit up a weld shop.

Comment

So after breaking a broken stud remover off in the busted bolt I decided it’s time to let a professional handle this. I took the head off and dropped it off at the shop. My machinist said he will most likely have to install a helicoil after using the plasma cutter to melt the bolt out. He’s good, everyone in town uses him and I’m confident after everything he’s done for me.

So so I found out that the valve covers I bought have had Q/C with their fasteners..... I always check fasteners before I use them and the 1 bolt I checked was the only bolt that would thread into every valve cover hole in the head. The other 3 would seize when they went in 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 the way in. The threads on all were not well run. So I screwed up not checking my fasteners before using them. The Chinese are laughing at me.

Comment

Working...
          X