Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

what model is that?

Does it only take 10 lb spools, not 30 lb?
    multimatic 220

no 30 lb'rs. machine weighs 56 lbs dry, so portability (I think) was probably the driving force.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

They seem to get a lot bigger (as well as heavier) when they can hold a large spool.

Thanks
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

They seem to get a lot bigger (as well as heavier) when they can hold a large spool.

Thanks
        I've had a Miller 252 Mig machine open, most of it's just open space... something to consider, this machine does everything and more then my 300 lb Dialarc welder. Granted, in a zombie Apocalypse the Dialarc will continue to work, but outside of that the small machine is better in every way.

Also, for what I do, I went through 1 11 lb spool on the trailer build, before that, the last spool was bought more then a year before. I've used 1/2 a spool on the C3.... a 30 lb spool would be a 2 year (or more) supply. Bare wire corrodes and collects dust - to me, it's actually detriment to have the larger spool.

If I had a welding shop, this isn't the machine for it, it's too small - but it's also not $5,000 and has the same features as the 5k machine - just not the duty cycle.

the 220 has some features that I kind of question - like the dual bottle (because that means your welder is that much heavier to roll around your workspace), and their insistence on Miller mig guns - which are great for midgets - but will never be confused with Tweco guns... (interestingly, it has a weldcraft tig torch).

...and I like these discussions, it helps flesh out the decision points to anyone else making a similar decision...
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 8, 2019, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Yes, it's good to talk about this stuff. I like a 30 lb spool because I only need to buy one every ten years or so...and around here, they don't rust. I could easily live with 10 lb spool.

I have an HTP that's over 25 years old, big and bulky and has stuff getting a little flaky, and the torch etc no longer available.

It would also be fun to play with a modern TIG machine...my Synchrowave can weld 1/8" aluminum and 1/4" steel, but that's about it. the new ones sure cost a lot, which is a problem for a cheapskate to get his mind around, even if he can afford it.

My fabulous web page

Comment

flush wire cutters. So you don't need the fancy zip tie tool....

Click image for larger version

Name:	flush.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	1235954
            Try both, you'll understand! There's really a place for both in the toolbox, because dikes can't be used face-on very well, and the gun can't be used from the side too easily.

Comment

I've used both. Mostly, I try not to use zip ties for much....

My fabulous web page

Comment

Aaron, put a piece of scotchbrite pad clothes pinned to the feed nozzle where it comes off the roll...
                Clean wire into the machine... Helps that pesky moisture problem too..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                  Aaron, put a piece of scotchbrite pad clothes pinned to the feed nozzle where it comes off the roll...
                  Clean wire into the machine... Helps that pesky moisture problem too..
                  I have something that is that design... it's basically a cork-shaped scotch-brite bit that holds on with a clamp.

Name:	8423863-24.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1236197
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 9, 2019, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
                    Another problem that basically everyone has but most people don't realize there's a tool to solve:

Zip ties, cable ties, zap straps, whatever you call them. Either you leave the floppy dangly bit in the way, or you lop it off with dikes. And probably cut the hell out of yourself the next time you reach into that area.

Buy a cable tie gun. Mine's a Panduit and really is a nice piece, but hideously overpriced ($250 or so--it was a gift, fortunately). Other brands are available. Put the tie in place, get it mostly tight, apply gun, pull trigger; tie is tensioned correctly and broken off absolutely flush. If you're using one of these, you can't even cut a baby's skin with the leftover ends. STUPID handy when you're wiring stuff and you're going to use six dozen of the ties in the harness.

Click image for larger version Name:	71IfKbPfSaL._SX342_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	13.0 KB ID:	1234973
                    I bought my Panduit gun for work off of ebay for $47 shipped in like new condition. They are hideously overpriced, but they last forever and are serviceable.

Comment

Name:	DSCN1711r.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	1237218

This is my wonder tool, the 4" cut off wheel, I used to always have tendonitis in the elbow from cutting steel with the hacksaw now this magic wheel does every cut I do on any solid material. Can't remember where the hacksaw is now!

A 5" inch one in the cordless Makita is great also for quick jobs, just got to have a spare battery handy as it likes electrons.

That shape cut out there is part of the windage tray for the SBC in the boat.

Tim
                      Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

I bought one of those Makitas 'way back to do one job and figured I was otherwise wasting my money. Noooo, I wound up wearing it out and got two more while the larger grinder (and the hacksaw) hardly get used anymore. It's one of those tools I call a "rattlesnake" however, you need to be careful with it. Accidents include cutting into a finger knuckle while necessarily using it without the guard, which took a very long time to heal somehow, and having a plastic backing "pad" explode which fortunately didn't cause any harm but certainly could have. I remind myself every time I pick one up to be careful.

Comment

I'm one that also keeps the guards on for 99.9% of jobs, when it's not there I don't like the tool at all.

One thing I am bad at though is grabbing it for a little job and not getting the safety specks at the same time.
                          Tim
                          Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

I buy those in bulk. Right now, Porter Cable makes a decent one that costs $20 on Amazon, I bought 4. I get that it's less safe without the guard, but I used the larger 8" grinder in my dad's shop... and I even have one that has a bent shaft, i won't fix it because while a 4" or 5" wheel coming apart is a bit surprising, a 12" cut off wheel coming apart hurts.

Comment

Buying power tools in bulk reminds me of drills. I have a pair of harbor fright's cheapest possible drills. A friend was mocking me for it, until he saw that I had a 'real' drill as well. The two dirt cheap ones have deburring bits in them, and never get used for drilling. It's super nice when you don't have to swap stuff around midway through a job. For the same reason, one grinder has a cutoff wheel, and one has a flap wheel (if I was a welder, there'd undoubtedly be more grinders than drills in my workspace!).

Comment

Was given a stack of cut off wheels for a gas chop saw.. Fire dept rejects, new blade every time used.. Too big for my Stihl so I took the guard off. Rev it up and the pieces went over 100 feet and stuck in the wood swing doors. Very seldom if ever go without guards. I do.. But try not to..

Comment

Working...
                                X