X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

toolbox upgrade
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Meet the Giant Powered English Wheel of Awesomeness. 1 1/2 hp variable speed reversible, w/ hydraulics for wheel pressure. Found on CL yesterday under boat parts while looking up stuff for my new $300 Olds/jet day cruiser in the background which was found two days earlier than that while looking at auto parts, for engine parts for another boat. Go figure. Either of these sellers might have done better by placing their ads where people looking for such things would have found them and not have had the a.d.d.-afflicted just stumble across in some odd category. The 'wheel was a long-term project by it's builder who didn't end up using it much, it's very close to what I've been wanting to make for myself and I'm sure happy to save the trouble. There will be some important modifications coming however, when I get to it.

Now, no more looking at Craigslist for a while! I've got enough crap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08004.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	1238979

Comment

Ha! Every one of my carbide burrs has it's own die grinder ($9.99 @ House of Tools (now defunct) sale weekend loss leaders), and I have several 90 or 110 degree die grinders, one for 2" roloc, one for 3" roloc.....can;t say I dreamt the idea up, many years ago, Ron Covell did a series of articles in Street Rodder magazine on a talented home builder that was putting together a Hot Rod Pickup (1933 Ford??), I believe it was called the Tubester? Anyways, in the articles, Ron Covell showed the fellows work area, and there was a ROW of die grinders, and a mention of how much time is saved by not having to stop & change out burrs, etc.....

James

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
        Buying power tools in bulk reminds me of drills. I have a pair of harbor fright's cheapest possible drills. A friend was mocking me for it, until he saw that I had a 'real' drill as well. The two dirt cheap ones have deburring bits in them, and never get used for drilling. It's super nice when you don't have to swap stuff around midway through a job. For the same reason, one grinder has a cutoff wheel, and one has a flap wheel (if I was a welder, there'd undoubtedly be more grinders than drills in my workspace!).
        Last edited by Tubbed Pacecar; March 31, 2019, 06:20 PM.

Comment

So, who else has a hand Amptrol on their tig torch? The foot pedal that came with my Lincoln 175 Square Wave is still in the sealed plastic pouch that it shipped in. I have seen pics of guys laying in the fetal position, with a foot pedal between their knees, and I just can't see myself taking YOGA in order to be able to weld in awkward positions......so I took the easy way out and bought the hand control from Arc-Zone.com (CK Worldwide also have some nice kit).....

James

Comment

I use the lift-arc function if I'm in a tough spot to use the foot pedal. My biggest issue with the thumbwheel is precision through gloves. also, for those who wonder what's next in arc control - bluetooth controls, the new ESAB machine will have a bluetooth pedal (no wires).... Lincoln still hates the home shop and has no broadcast plans to make a multi-machine.
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 1, 2019, 07:01 AM.

Comment

I finally got tired of my very bent, 1/5 hp grinder
              meet the new, Asian hotness

basically it's a grizzly painted white.... but it's 3/4 hp and has a rheostat to change rpms..... and it didn't come without drama. My original purchase was a Delta that was "just cosmetic damage to box.... well, that was true, for the 30% of the box that was left.... and it had a bent shaft as well... no thank you, thank you for taking it back Amazon.

Comment

expensive, but way cool tape measure

Comment

belt sander for grinder
                  I like it when it comes so organized - the bolt box has a picture of contents...

installs fairly easily

Comment

I just bought that exact kit a month or two ago, but to adapt onto an upright Burr-King belt sander for when I need a small but high-powered horizontal setup. Also added pad material onto the backing plate, for curved things and to help the belts last longer. Not using the round part. Am super-happy with it. Made in Australia.

Comment

I have no idea where they're made. I saw them at a vendor's display and took one of their catalogs (which means I liked them because any extra weight is a bad thing at SEMA). I saw it on Skid Factory and finally came up with a reason (the gas filler for my C3) to buy it... I really like how well made and excellent install instructions. I think the one thing, though, they don't talk about the lever on the side - it's for centering the belt. The instructions ignore it and make you go through a bolt loosen/tighten routine.... not a big deal, but omitted (or maybe updated after the instructions were made)... I've now used it a couple times and am going to take the other wheel off and replace it with a wire wheel... in the off chance I need a stone, I'll put small ones on the old bench grinder (maybe then it won't vibrate so badly)....

Comment

I bought a big Woodtek sanding station (6X48 belt and a 12" disc) and that works great. Now that I have it I wonder how I lived without it. I also have 2 bench grinders, one with a deburring (green) wheel and a buffer and the other with a wire wheel and a grinding wheel. I use them all, often. I like the little belt sander, too. HUummmmmm.

My name is Dan and I'm tool addicted....

Dan
                        Last edited by DanStokes; July 2, 2019, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                          I bought a big Woodtek sanding station (6X48 belt and a 12" disc) and that works great. Now that I have it I wonder how I lived without it. I also have 2 bench grinders, one with a deburring (green) wheel and a buffer and the other with a wire wheel and a grinding wheel. I use them all, often. I like the little belt sander, too. HUummmmmm.

My name is Dan and I'm tool addicted....

Dan
                          I was kind of turned off by them because long ago (70s) my dad had a (maybe still has in the pile of unused tools) a belt sander. It was pretty useless because the belts would wear out very quickly.... probably shouldn't have been so jaded, but that's why I never bought one.. until now.

Comment

deal on deal... I have a bead roller

Comment

Working...
                            X