One post wonder tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One post wonder tools

Lots of things deserve one post, maybe, that's going to be this - and anyone can join
    And I'll start with what I'm just sold

My drill press - it's Taiwanese but it's actually a pretty nice machine that I sold for cheap. Why? I got a great deal, so why not pass it along - and it did, went to a kid who was just married and was where I was 10 years ago when I bought it.

In the background - I love that little saw EXCEPT it's really starting to get tired.... it may get upgraded to the larger version then I'll gift that to someone else (after I replace the brushes).... if I do that, then my bandsaw will probably get a new home as well...

and my vertical bandsaw
    This one - it seemed like such a great idea, a wood saw that was converted to slower metal-cutting speeds. Problem is for heavy stuff, it'd constantly knock the blade off - so it got relegated to the corner, and I had to blow the dust off of it tonight.

Soon a couple welders are going to get replaced and the plasma for a larger one... all to gain room and capacity. they'll get a one post as well. I will admit that if there was ever one machine that I may just keep around "just because" it will be my Miller 175.... and who knows, if it doesn't sell for enough, everyone needs a spare MIG - maybe I'll just leave the aluminum spool on it....
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

at first blush it seems dumb.... but then again, I already have a hydraulic lift, a press, a press brake .... hmmmm

Comment

They're crappy compared to an impact, but you're already holding it and it does work. It's also quite a reasonably good screwdriver (JIS head), though the handle feels kinda plasticky/cheap. Love mine.

The current cheapish gift tool I've been buying is a Powerbuilt 940478 -- 1/4" stubby ratchet with a 1/4" bitdrive socket on the backside. Surprisingly useful assuming you've got the cheap chinese bit set that we all own multiples of.

Comment

I need all of these tools.
        When I bought into the Makita line, I kept being disappointed that I bought into a limited tool set. I convinced myself that Makita builds reliable tools, but Milwaukie keeps innovating and Makita... well, at least they were reliable (but don't ask me about the first drill). This video moved them to the lead.... not because I really want a cordless wheelbarrow, but because rather then the DeWalt 10,000 different battery solution, they simply stack 18v until they get the power they need. To me, that's brilliant.... and I may buy the chainsaw - a green chainsaw lol

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07954.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1233416

Walking along railroad tracks as a kid, which I did quite a bit, along with the usual loose spikes I once found this wrench. I've had it all these years and it's great for use as a bending tool. Stamped "SPTCO/SSWRY", barely visible here on the top jaw, Southern Pacific Transportation Co. / St.Lous Southwestern Railway. Getting to the point of maturity where I think about righting past wrongs (who'd have thought...) and giving it back to the railroad 50 years later, (which might be a nice thought or might be a ridiculous one) I do an internet search and find that these (this exact item, stamped same) must have been a common thing for people to convert to personal use 'cause there's a lot of them around. These were ones for sale, and not by Southern Pacific:

Very Nice Huge Vintaq e D iamond Hors eshoe Co. 18 Adjust able Southern Pacific & St. Louis Southwestern Railway Wrench I found this nice old railroad wrench at an estate sale. It was made by Diamond

Comment

Probably used as an air hose wrench. Bnsf has nice pipe wrenches on all their locomotives. All other railroads use some kind of cheap wrench that you wouldn’t want to steal.

Name:	D061BB28-4A8E-4B60-AD18-703F02401745.png
Views:	91
Size:	573.2 KB
ID:	1233424

Comment

Hi! You'll probably have to take the head off and bring them that but ask about it first. See for example: https://tiresout.com/

Comment

this will be 2 post... I bought house jacks to fix the bed adjustment for my press brake

it used to be one was bent, now both... these are 25 ton jacks... which should be fine in the 15 ton press brake

Comment

Here's another idiot tool that you likely don't have and should buy:

(I assume you have a smartphone or a tablet or whatever that is okay for shop use, here)

A boroscope/endoscope. Not the fancy snap-on crap with the giant dingleberry end, but the genuinely teensy ebay type. The ones I've seen that are "real" tools usually have a 10mm or larger diamter on the camera end, and not anything like a long enough line. The cheap chinese ebay stuff has a 6-7mm end and usually includes a little clip-on mirror for the end so you can fit them into a sparkplug hole and examine the top of the bore for wear. A little tape and a metal coat hanger being sacrificed means you can run the little bastards a long, long ways into an intake or exhaust (or whatever, really.... stop that, perverts [they're probably not waterproof anyhow]) and get a good look at stuff without tearing it all to pieces. Buy at least one and don't spend more than $15 or so each.

Name:	s-l300.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	1234815

Comment

Another problem that basically everyone has but most people don't realize there's a tool to solve:

Zip ties, cable ties, zap straps, whatever you call them. Either you leave the floppy dangly bit in the way, or you lop it off with dikes. And probably cut the hell out of yourself the next time you reach into that area.

Buy a cable tie gun. Mine's a Panduit and really is a nice piece, but hideously overpriced ($250 or so--it was a gift, fortunately). Other brands are available. Put the tie in place, get it mostly tight, apply gun, pull trigger; tie is tensioned correctly and broken off absolutely flush. If you're using one of these, you can't even cut a baby's skin with the leftover ends. STUPID handy when you're wiring stuff and you're going to use six dozen of the ties in the harness.

Click image for larger version  Name:	71IfKbPfSaL._SX342_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	13.0 KB ID:	1234973
                    Last edited by AndyB; March 1, 2019, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Since Finnegan didn't hook me up, I went out and bought my own... one Miller to rule them all

one of those "why didn't you do this before?" note the direction the wire feeds from. Every other welder I've used feeds from the bottom and is a pain to load....

all together, even fits on my old stand - though I don't know what I'm going to do about 2 bottles so there may be a new transport device in the near future

now if the other two sell I'll get about 1/3 of the purchase price back..... though I'll tell you what, I'm having feels about selling my 180 - we've built so much together.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

one of those "why didn't you do this before?" note the direction the wire feeds from. Every other welder I've used feeds from the bottom and is a pain to load....

Name:	toilet paper roll.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	1235947

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post

Name:	toilet paper roll.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	1235947
                          yeah, nope. I don't have large hands, but jamming my hand under the spool to feed it through the rollers on my old machine was a pain.

Comment

flush wire cutters. So you don't need the fancy zip tie tool....

Name:	flush.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	1235954
                            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                              one Miller to rule them all
                              what model is that?

Does it only take 10 lb spools, not 30 lb?
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X