Serpentine Belt Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serpentine Belt Issues

I was having some serpentine belt squealing issues on my '12 Chevy Silverado ........V6 engine
    I finally replaced belt (Gates), tensioner and idler pulley.
    For a day the squeak stop.........then started up again....off and on.

This youtube video suggests if you squirt water on belt and noise goes away.......it's the belt
    He also mentions a Gatorback belt

Anyway .................thoughts here?

Belt squeal, squeaky belt, belt noise? Learn how to fix a squeaky belt in your car. The serpentine belt in your car powers the accessories such as air condit...
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Seems to be a very informative video.
    I'd follow his method to find the cause.
    The water is only a test medium.....at first I thought you'd be stopping every mile for a quick squirt......

Comment

yeah, they sell belt dressing for this purpose. Most times its not the belt, the tensioner, its a squealing bearing on the power steering pump, alternator or ac compressor. Same deal on the 03 tracker we redid. The car was abandoned because the alternator locked up and threw off the belt. when we got it running you could hear the timing chain slack. Changed all the chains, guides, tensioner, new belts, new belt tensioner and it squeals like a pig for the first minute before going away.It has two belts, one for the bulk and one for the power steering pump. Damn thing has a bolt on fan so I cant even spray them when its running.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
        yeah, they sell belt dressing for this purpose. Most times its not the belt, the tensioner, its a squealing bearing on the power steering pump, alternator or ac compressor. Same deal on the 03 tracker we redid. The car was abandoned because the alternator locked up and threw off the belt. when we got it running you could hear the timing chain slack. Changed all the chains, guides, tensioner, new belts, new belt tensioner and it squeals like a pig for the first minute before going away.It has two belts, one for the bulk and one for the power steering pump. Damn thing has a bolt on fan so I cant even spray them when its running.
        I've been told belt dressing is for V belts only
        Now today the squeal is not as bad........for some reason

I'm just gonna run it and sees what happens..........just hoping someone here might've gone through same issues
        and I wouldn't have re invent the wheel

Thanks
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

When I run into a squeak like that, I put my mechanic's stethoscope on everything with a pulley on it, and see if one makes more squeaking than the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post

I've been told belt dressing is for V belts only
            Now today the squeal is not as bad........for some reason

I'm just gonna run it and sees what happens..........just hoping someone here might've gone through same issues
            and I wouldn't have re invent the wheel

Thanks
            I think thats because the tensioner is supposed to keep the belt tight and not squealing.

I am pretty sure water is not suggested by manufacturers either.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer View Post
              When I run into a squeak like that, I put my mechanic's stethoscope on everything with a pulley on it, and see if one makes more squeaking than the others.
              Gonna try this............good idea
              Thom

Comment

I've had good luck with Gatorback belts.

Though if it's squeaking that quickly, I'd wonder if it was like a worn motor mount and the idle is getting it to tweak back and forth, etc. Seems like a real short life if they squeak after a whole day?

Comment

So, then...belt squeal and belt chirp are different things. You might have one or the other or both. Separate the noises, separate the cause. Video from Gates...

Many cars have a button on the dash marked 'lighter'. Ever seen one that says 'darker' or 'heavier'? Is it just me?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy From Iowa View Post
                    So, then...belt squeal and belt chirp are different things. You might have one or the other or both. Separate the noises, separate the cause. Video from Gates...

Good stuff... thanks
                    Thom

Comment

If the problem is that the pulleys are not all aligned finding the cause can be time consuming. Many newer engine designs have done away with bolt-on mounting brackets, instead bolting the accessories to castings. So how do they get out of alignment? Worn bearings, old age and vibration can shift parts around, but many times it is the crankshaft pulley that moves out of position as the rubber bond between the inner and outer ring of the harmonic balancer fails. I'm staring at you, Jeep.
                      Many cars have a button on the dash marked 'lighter'. Ever seen one that says 'darker' or 'heavier'? Is it just me?

Comment

Working...
                      X