Older brodix heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older brodix heads

Need advice on these heads.I called Brodix and they said theyre dash 9 heads made in 1988.I can find anything about a -9 head.I'm trying to decide if I should have them built for my 6in rod 383 for a street truck.LazOno Bro porting worked on them back in 89,I know the guy and car they were on.It was a TIDA late model asphalt car that ran up front or won constantly.I'm wondering If Id be better off with newer heads..thanks for any help.part number they gave me is -9 std

I ended up with a set of first revision Trick Flow heads, have the same worry.

Comment

What are your goals? How much much do you expect having them built will cost? What are your other options? Their cost? Some people want to run 6 second quarters and drive it on the street, others want to say they have heads off a race car!.

By the way I know nothing about heads....
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
        What are your goals? How much much do you expect having them built will cost? What are your other options? Their cost? Some people want to run 6 second quarters and drive it on the street, others want to say they have heads off a race car!.

By the way I know nothing about heads....
        I'm building a back halved 62 step side chevy.It's gonna just be a nasty street truck.I want it to run hard but I'll rarely abuse it (well maybe just a little).Engine has a big hydraulic roller cam.Ive been looking at the profiler heads or afr 195's but dam they're expensive.I can have these built for around 800.And I do like the fact Lazono brothers did their thing to them.They're pretty famous and know what their doing.

Comment

Comment

Check this out, may, or may not shed any light.......

For over 50 years BRODIX has been the only cylinder head company to perform each stage of the manufacturing process under one roof.

Comment

I have never heard anything bad about brodix heads. Just make sure the carb, cam, converter, gear, tire match the heads and you will probably love it

PS still don't know what I am talking about. My car has a 100% stock motor right now. Will probably get a turbo kit but I may go the 11R custom cam route. But either are a couple years off.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Did you ask them when on the phone with them, the intake port size (cc)
                I'll bet before porting they were 200cc or bigger. with 67cc chambers.
                made/designed for sprint type racing that ran 400cid small blocks.
                If this is the case , call bronix back and ask the intake cc volume. they were for 4000-7000+rpm 400 cid engines. a street 383 they'll not work well on.

try this.
                For over 50 years BRODIX has been the only cylinder head company to perform each stage of the manufacturing process under one roof.

going by the listing of the -8 and -10, a -9 would be in the middle of those. . Click image for larger version  Name:	-9.jpg Views:	1 Size:	85.1 KB ID:	1235743

Last edited by JamesMayberryIII; March 6, 2019, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMayberryIII View Post
                  Did you ask them when on the phone with them, the intake port size (cc)
                  I'll bet before porting they were 200cc or bigger. with 67cc chambers.
                  made/designed for sprint type racing that ran 400cid small blocks.
                  If this is the case , call bronix back and ask the intake cc volume. they were for 4000-7000+rpm 400 cid engines. a street 383 they'll not work

try this.

going by the listing of the -8 and -10, a -9 would be in the middle of those. . Click image for larger version Name:	-9.jpg Views:	1 Size:	85.1 KB ID:	1235743
                  Yea,that's exactly what I'm worried about.I know for a fact what engine these were on as the engine is currently in my bro n laws dirt modified. His father is where the engine came from,It was a 331ci Chevy built by Carol Caudill ..I remember seeing the car run and they definately turn em tight , the car always was top of the field so he had the best of the best.I'm guessing they lived around8- 8500 rpm? Something tells me the Lazono bro port and polish job opened everything up to the point my little 383 won't be enough.?..

Comment

Originally posted by Lit549 View Post
                    Something tells me the Lazono bro port and polish job opened everything up to the point my little 383 won't be enough.?..

aaaaaaaaand that when the only "logical" thing is to put a shafirroff
                    482" smallblock (yep they make em that big....yikes!) shortblock
                    kit under those brodix heads.

see, win/win !?!!?!!

Comment

I am just not sure if the angle for the intake is different once they are assembled where you need a special. I would at least dry fit them on a block with a standard intake and make sure they match.

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

aaaaaaaaand that when the only "logical" thing is to put a shafirroff
                        482" smallblock (yep they make em that big....yikes!) shortblock
                        kit under those brodix heads.

see, win/win !?!!?!!
                        Way past my budget! I WISH..The 383 won't be a slouch by any means.

Comment

Way past my budget! I WISH..The 383 won't be a slouch by any means.
                          yeah, i cant even afford his VALVECOVERS. i was just
                          messin with you, bro. you know, (tim allen voice) hmmm--
                          that port job may be a bit much for what i got....
                          so the solution is smaller heads? no, its a bigger motor !
                          aaargh, aaaargh, AAAAARGH !!!

at least thats the way my brain spirals out of control most of the time....

Comment

Yea,that's exactly what I'm worried about.I know for a fact what engine these were on as the engine is currently in my bro n laws dirt modified. His father is where the engine came from,It was a 331ci Chevy built by Carol Caudill ..I remember seeing the car run and they definately turn em tight , the car always was top of the field so he had the best of the best.I'm guessing they lived around8- 8500 rpm? Something tells me the Lazono bro port and polish job opened everything up to the point my little 383 won't be enough.?..
                            he might trip upon some 13:1 compression high dome pistons to make up some of the space.

Comment

Apples/oranges in our experiences .
                              Got a box of parts with a supposedly dyno's 700-750 hp circle track motor.
                              Pop tops, Dart heads, intake and the carb was gone.
                              Thought the Dart iron heads be too high of compression.. Figured out to either 14-1 or 13.9-1 cr. So I fixed up a pair of camel humps.
                              We knew the cam would be too wild, so went with solid lifter smaller one.. We then stepped up 2 times to bigger/rowdy cams.
                              Of course we were running a Thumper modified 2 barrel on E-85 race fuel...
                              Eventually the kid decided to run the Dart heads.. By then the E85 supplier no longer carried it.. So switched back to race gas before head swap.
                              Idle is around 1000-1300 rpms arena ready and less puttering around.
                              Revs faster, will "cruise" the arena without screaming..
                              I have 15% hearing in one ear and 10 in the other. I can hear him over the din of roaring stockish motors sooner with the Darts
                              Going from 11-1 to 14-1 really made no difference..
                              I believe we get away with such compression because we use Performer RPM intake with a resin adaptor to 2 barrel Holley.
                              Motor runs idle to 4-5,000 rpms with quick runs to 6500 rpms.. Rev limiter is set at 7500 so he does not peg it and run rough.
                              Lots of throttle feathering to get traction..

All I can say is try them, then maybe figure what you need to make it work. Like a smaller intake..

Comment

Working...
                              X