Ignition question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition question

Ok, I realize this isn't a car, but it DOES have an automotive engine in it.

The forklift at our shop is giving us fits. It will crank over but we have no fire at the plugs. I checked the voltage to the coil ( on BOTH sides of the ballast resistor) and came up with 27 volts! Perplexed, I measured the voltage at the battery an it was where it was supposed to be at 13.5-13.6 volts. Odd... why is the voltage to the coil exactly DOUBLE the battery voltage? Is this normal or have I stumbled upon a problem?

FYI it is a Mazda engine in a Yale forklift.

Ron
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Re: Ignition question

do you have 2 batterys?
    Originally posted by TC
    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Alot of diesel truck-engines have two batteries.

Check out if it has dual batteries..

Comment

Nope, this puppy only has one 12V battery. It is a little 4-cyl Mazda engine in a medium duty (4500#) forklift. It is not a diesel and in fact runs on LPG.
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

It means you have voltage on your grounds, if you saw that much voltage. -13.xv sounds about right.

So, look for a short to ground somewhere. Shut all the power off and make sure there's zero ohms from the battery ground, to the engine block etc. Could just be a ground strap came loose on the motor.

-scott
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Call Ronnie Moore.I dont have his cell# Sorry-don ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by ksj1
              Call Ronnie Moore.I dont have his cell# Sorry-don ;D ;D
              Doesn't he work for Berry?

Comment

Used to, Now he works for Westar.That buddy of his from Overbrook still works for Berry.Cant think of his name .Hes always with Ronnie at the track.-

Comment

Made a phone call.The guys name at Berry is Rob Allen.

Comment

Thanks, Don.

Comment

Got it fixed! It turned out to be a bad wire to the ignition switch. It's amazing what corrosion can do.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Ron

Comment

Working...
                      X