Powersteering hose question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powersteering hose question

At times, I realize my 1972 Gran Torino Sport is getting to be OLD.
    Take my quest over the last two weeks.
    I wanted to drive the GTS. Not going to happen with blown pressure hose.
    Napa, Advanced and pretty much every other store, a 5 day lead time to get the hose.
    I saw rock auto has them as well, but does not much good because I lacked the comprehension that the hose isn't in any local freaking parts outfits. What a joke.
    I saw an NOS Ford pressure hose on ebay, but it was listed 73-newer...but I also am not in the mood to do a NOS hose for a car like my that's not a concours type resto.
    That, and $90 by the time I pay for it and shipping...
    Anyways, just my rant for last night. By the time I rummaged in the shed and see if I have a usable spare off the 7 steering boxes I have out back, all are pretty well tired and I don't want another Type F fluid bath.

Well, I finally got out to the garage last night, spent some time pulling the old hose, and I compared them side by side, new vs. old.

> WTF Batman, holy hole in a donut! Talk about a joke.
    If you by a PS pressure hose for a Torino, please make a careful choice because the Edelman hose I ordered in is beyond wrong.
    Hose fittings are clocked {positioned} incorrect.
    Metal lines are too long.
    Hose is too long.
    And this is the 1972 Specific hose!

I went to a hydraulic shop on my lunch, and they offered a couple suggestions, which basically mean hacking up the brand new line and putting a new hose, cutting it, and placing AN fittings on it, and crimping them to the hose.
    I am now more inclinded to say to hell with this and just buy new fittings for the Ford box and run new hose.
    I need to also replace the return line, and will be finally adding a power steering cooler, but surprise the return hose they now offer is a crappy fitting that has to be special ordered from Advanced.
    I swear this deserves a technical write up for a conversion upgrade.

I fail to comprehend why we can't get the correct parts for our vehicles at times.

Anyone mess with AN fittings on a Ford box? Lines are a 3/8, fittings show to be 7/16".

And, what is the purpose of the design of the lines, with the bends at the box on the frame? Is it merely for better packaging, or alignment, or something to do with just dealing with the movement of the engine at times?

Andy
    Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Re: Powersteering hose question

I ran into that problem working on a Chevy 20 some years ago.

The funky bends/routing are most likely to allow for engine movement.

That NOS hose is looking like a good deal now....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I'm surprised your local hydraulic shop couldn't quickly hook you up. A lot of semi repair garages can make their own hoses and do so all the time. They could probably reuse the old hose ends too.

Comment

I thought that NAPA could even make hyd. hoses. Maybe they do powersteering hoses also.

Comment

I've had powersteering hoses made up at NAPA.

Comment

Originally posted by Eliteman76

I fail to comprehend why we can't get the correct parts for our vehicles at times.

The trouble with this old stuff is, somebody out there in the supply chain (when there even is one) has to care enough to get the right stuff sorted out for something they hardly sell any of.

Agreed on having them made at NAPA or Carquest, yours isn't an unusual problem so they buy these complete systems from vendors that allow them to make up hoses on-site.

Some of those weird-ass bends where the tube goes up and down can be for a reason having to do with the pump hydraulics (maybe someone else can enlighten us more on that) so it's best to have it as-original.

Comment

there should be an aeroquip dealer in your area
              the crimping machine works good , but the pipe end rots out too

Comment

do your research before you go with the AN fittings. The flares are at different angles btween what you have and what the AN hose it ...something like the AN has a 37 degree flare and the other is a 45 degree flare. After looking at the Russell catalog, they use stainless steel fittings and different hose that is teflon lined ...something about the regular hose cannot handle the pressure. Ford power steering is a nightmare!

Comment

I would stay away from AN unless there is no other choice - the stuff is pricey and as mentioned above - you have to make sure the AN matches to another AN fitting.

I would try to find another local shop that can make hydraulic lines - I don't see why you couldn't have a new piece of high pressure hose and crimed ends put onto the old steel lines that are already bent and have the proper threaded ends.

Anything available from dearborn classics, NPD, or any of those?
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Omaha has old school hydraulic hose guys that can take your metal ends and put a new rubber hose in between in any length you want. You may have to go down to that scary really old industrial part of Omaha down by the river and always smells like ChemDip.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I think your Elite uses the same Saginaw 800 steering box that my 71 Mustang uses, no pressurized ram in the steering linkage just the pump and the box. As I have big headers that surround the steering box I rerouted the lines back through the fenderwell, over the shock tower brace and on to to pump fir the pressure side and to the PS cooler in have under the radiator cradle and then back to the inlet side of the pump. All that unusual routing had more to do with ease of assembly than anything else. Without the cooler it would push fluid out of the pump when it got hot, now it stays nice an clean and cool, no leaks steers perfectly. it also cleans up the engine compartment a bit.

A local shop here made the pressure line out of 2250 PSI Goodyear airbrake hose which is compatible with PS fluid and steel two piece ends that can be clocked. They added the special flare for the steering box and the short piece of tube with with flare nut to the pump using by bent up old line to get the ends rights. Cost $35. I switched years ago to a Saginaw built in reservoir pump from a 77 Camaro application and with this rebuild I've gone to a Type 2 style GM pump with a remote reservoir as the next time I got through this I'll have a blower and will need the space for the drive.

On another note I found a guy locally who rebuilds the box as mine was shot. For very reasonable money, $190 I have a fully rebuilt box with the variable ratio gearing that was only offerred on some high end optioned cars like the 429SCJ.
                      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

steering by GM eh ?
                        use a WS6 box

Comment

I have a Lee box and pump, love them though they aren't cheap.
                          Central TEXAS Sleeper
                          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

the lee stuff is the choice of NASCAR teams

Comment

Working...
                            X