Coil overs vs cutting coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil overs vs cutting coils

Ok my option to install coil overs on my hemi/vette has pushed out to possibly June. Two things I liked about coil overs, as I have them in the rear with my chrysler sold axel, is adjustability and the double adjustable shocks. I got a good UTUBE video of how to measure and cut coils to get the drop you want. The double adjustable shocks look like I would end up with the adjustment knobs inside the coil if I wanted to use them, maybe just a good late model/style shock instead.

The main thing I'm looking for is to lower the front as it is just a little to high, maybe an inch or two drop. Any advise??

only cutting coil advice I could give would be a quarter coil at a time and keep reinstalling them.

Comment

My first hand experience is that cutting coils results in poor ride quality and worse handling. Definitely don't recommend it.
      Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Cutting coils shortens and stiffens them, but not usually together at the rate you want.

If there's 10 coils on a spring, cutting one off will give you 10% stiffer rate, which means that you won't quite get 10% lower height from it. I'm all for cutting coils a chunk at a time to mock things up so that you can measure properly to order exactly what you want. For example does it need to be a 1" or 2" or 1.5" drop? Hack away and see which you like the best, but then order the correct springs, and measure at the same time so that you can order the right length of shock/strut.

And when you're done, take the old springs and chuck `em.

Comment

Will drop spindles work? Nice drop, no sacrificing of alignment or ride...........
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Yeah I know, I should just be patient and wait till the shop can fit me in and get the coil overs like I want, hmm !!

Comment

I am going back to school on this stuff. Finally want to order coil overs, but I see things like extended 17 fully closed 12 1/2, for 14 1/2 to 15 1/8 ride height.

Is that truly all you get for adjustment on these things? You have what almost 2 inches of thread on the shock to move the change the ride height, but you are only adjusting a half inch?

So you buy a pair of 700.00 shocks and end up having to weld longer brackets on the tubing to make a major adjustment?

Really thought there was more movement than 5/8 of an inch.

Comment

There's the shock length and travel, and the spring length and rate.....it's complicated, but it works. Also the springs are usually shorter than the shock at full extension, so you don't even get that 17" fully extended length!

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  There's the shock length and travel, and the spring length and rate.....it's complicated, but it works. Also the springs are usually shorter than the shock at full extension, so you don't even get that 17" fully extended length!

Vi-King recommended a 205, which was like 10-14, claim at least it was for a 12 1/2-13 1/2 ride height with a 9 inch spring. When I asked why there are 6" of thread on the shock body he said it was for different length springs. Just seems I need to build this thing with different mount points to keep the shock at the same travel if the car is too high or too low. Just trying to stay away from the long brackets on the 36 set up we were working on that go way down below the axle to drop the bottom point and get that up top.

Comment

Don't cut are heat coils to drop anything unless you are prepared to fix it on the side of the road in the middle of the night with no cell phone reception and no jack that will go under it. Buy drop coils they are cheap and you will keep the ride nice. Cutting coils is no better than heating them. I just bought a set of front 3" drop coils for the 68 step side for $70.00 shipped. The ones in it had been heated to drop it per the PO. He told me this when I bought it. The passenger side was 1.5" lower than the drivers side. Spindles are drop coils is the only way to go are both.
                    Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

I'd at least look at RideTech Shockwaves. I have 'em on the front of Mutt and they work great.

Dan

Comment

way out of my price range. I appreciate them helping out with the site, but I spend more time and money trying to build my own stuff thats like theirs

Comment

IIRC, mine were about $250/ea. Not cheap but not as bad as I feared. I needed that ability to raise the front to get the ol' boy on the trailer and lower the front to get it out of the wind. They do the trick.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                            IIRC, mine were about $250/ea. Not cheap but not as bad as I feared. I needed that ability to raise the front to get the ol' boy on the trailer and lower the front to get it out of the wind. They do the trick.

Dan
                            where did you get them for 250? used? Ridetech site is 925

Comment

I'm looking at Viking dbl ajustable coilovers, $600 pair for my 68 Impala.
                              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Working...
                              X