Coil overs vs cutting coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
    I'm looking at Viking dbl ajustable coilovers, $600 pair for my 68 Impala.
    Vikings engineer is suggesting us a C205 with a 9 inch spring for the back of the camaro. 200 per shock, 40 per spring. Front Hybrids were 610, which plants the coil in the frame, not on the shock. My confusion is when you buy them from Summit or Jegs, they are listed as Speedtech, most with a 2 week delivery date.

Summit is down to 152 per shock on the strange S5204 with the black friday deals down from 169, but they have some wild variable rate springs that even confuses me more.

This is where I am confused the most. My low point is 10 inches, high point is wherever it falls, the shocks offered at 10 go to 14. OK, that fine. But I spend the summer driving home behind my son, and the car stays level, the rear end bounces up with each bump, pot hole, speed bump and they are saying my ride height with that spring and shock combination is going to be 11 1/2 at lowest point. I do not ever see extension, I see compression, so I cant get out of my head that this is just going to want to bottom out all the time where they suggest to set it up. They are at least saying 11 1/2-12 1/2 so at least there is an inch, not 5/8ths of suggested ride height adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post

where did you get them for 250? used? Ridetech site is 925
      I'd have to dig out the paperwork but I know I didn't spend that kind of cash - 'cause I don't HAVE that kind of cash! IIRC I got 'em thru Jegs but not really sure. I'll look when I have the time.

Dan

Comment

Not a fan of coil overs on oem type underpinning, as the mounting location were never designed to support the weight of the vehicle.

Comment

I'd think, (not sure, so take this as it is) .
          On some vehicles cutting the coils, is an option if you pick the right springs.
          example, A g.m. truck that has a big block in it, if you put small block, springs in that you cut, the rate after being cut might be just fine.
          Or say, the soft v6 springs out of a luxo regal, after cutting might be great ,and about the same as the SS/442/etc spring rate.
          3rd gen f body a 4 cyl spring cut and put in a v8 car.
          I've always wondered, how close the rate of a 40 year old worn out spring gets to the original rate of the factory new spring after the worn out one is cut.
          If you cut, don't use a torch or a chop saw with a fiber cutting wheel, use a metal cutting blade chop saw. and cutting oil.
          Some have it made and the after markt sells "drop springs" and knuckles.
          others have to do some research, and that base powered 4 banger spring , and cutting it. might be a great option.

Comment

well, I dont really know what springs. I ended up having to get these tiny shocks for the 4 link space in the camaro. They take a 9 inch spring. I have some QA1 12" springs I am never going to use. they are 130/250. All we want to do is mock up, but when you cut these springs, not like anyone probably would, but do you have to take off top and bottom? I would think cutting the tight coils only would change the rate. The wider ones are the stiffer area right?

Comment

Working...
            X