2003 Chevy Trailblazer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Chevy Trailblazer

Does anyone know why these are prone to catch fire? I came by a deal I could not pass up on one that had a "little" fire. Yes, the plastic air box was toast as well as the plastic cover on the intake (?) with some melted wire, basically something I would have not even tried to go after. But KBB still has these at 3-6 grand and I got a pretty clean one for 700.

Spent the morning at a salvage yard getting the plastic, most of the wiring harness and a PCM just in case. Boy would it have been nice to have a connector before the engine part of the harness went thru the firewall, but all I could see were alot of recalls due to door switches starting on fire.

It seems kind of common since two of the ones in the yard had a melted top end too and wondered if anyone heard of a reason why.

Re: 2003 Chevy Trailblazer

Iíve never heard of that. I knew a few people who had them and they never maintained them but somehow were putting 200,000 on them
    Deaf Bob likes this.

Comment

they have a 275 horsepower straight six, that has always been a great motor.

Seems like the fires start at the wire case at the front of the motor. there is a fuel pressure regulator there but the fire was not big enough to have been caused by fuel spray, at least not this one.

Comment

Pretty sure the fed sort of made ethanol a mandatory thing in gas around the time those came out so it could Ben that the fuel system wasnít capable of handling the alcohol and it ate a fuel hose inside out. Hot engine+fuel=fire

Comment

the fuel system looks in tact. There is an aluminum crossover tube for the air conditioning across the front of the motor and where the hose to the drier attaches is clearly burnt. I have lit up freon before, in a crawlspace in my house that singed my eyebrows, so I would think that might be part of it, just figure out the spark part. The #1 coil is burnt so that could maybe be the source. If the freon was leaking and the coil sparked at the proper time.

Funny thing is, I went to the junk yard to try to get a harness for it and there was a real pretty air conditioner hose assembly on the donor. Now it might be the one part I would not want to trust from a yard. Two hours later I cut all the wires going into the cab, I am guessing I will graft the bad wires together to replace the harness to the coils.
          Last edited by anotheridiot; March 25th, 2019, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Cars that met their end because of a fire are hard to bring back. Iím replacing all fuel hoses because of this thread btw so if nothing else, I pray you just prevented a fire in my garage

Comment

the point I was trying to make is to find freon leaks. This was a quick fire that went out when the freon burned away.

When I used to work on big industrial equipment, you would use a propane torch and have a tube you ran around looking for freon leaks and the flame would turn to green. That was the color of the flame I remember when I popped the line at the house.

Comment

Never knew that. Learn something new everyday

Comment

Working...
                X