Oil Circulation Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Circulation Issues

I've had a BM oil cooler fitted for years....keeps my oil at 180F on the hottest day.
    Two weeks ago I was driving on the freeway and noticed my oil temp gauge going up.....it topped out at 210F.
    I tried two new temp senders no change.
    Under the car I had oil dripping off the oil filter, hard to determine it's source. I had recently installed a new oil pan gasket....a 'thicker' FelPro.
    I did an oil/filter change and also the oil filter adapter was swapped out for a new one.....no change oil temp went 210. Under the car it seemed the oil was coming from the oil cooler adapter/motor or filter/adapter. I checked out the -6 lines to the cooler....blew the cooler out and installed an unused oil thermostat. The thermostat allows oil to flow but opens fully at 180F, made by Derale.
    Another filter different make....using Royal Purple this one's a Purolator.
    Once again no change but I notice with my oil at 210F the oil cooler is cold even the lines to it from their exit at the adapter are cold.
    Under the car I remove the filter....it's half full, I did'nt get the hand oil bath.
    Removed the oil cooler adapter which was dry and saw the oil filter adapter in the block was dry too.
    My oil pressure on start up is 50psi lowering to 45psi when oil heats up.
    Removed rocker covers....oil is getting up there.
    All my oil lines are unobstructed.
    I've done everything I know so far to solve this....what am I missing....oil pump failure ?

I don't recall the oil pump manufacturer just that it is standard pressure high volume.
    High volume to cope with having an oil cooler.
    Last edited by malc; April 8, 2019, 12:11 AM.

Don't the oil filter adapters have a bypass in them? Almost sounds like the bypass is closed or blocked off not allowing oil into the filter.

Comment

The adapter is new, the bypass functions.
      The bypass is for when the filter is blocked.
      The oil is not getting there, to the filter that is.
      Even if the bypass is blocked intentionally or unintentionally there should be oil.
      Last edited by malc; April 8, 2019, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Just because something is new does not mean it functions correctly. If the filter is only half full of oil, it sure seems like it is not getting there and overall flow is down. You are talking about losing the flow you had and the only change other than a fat gasket was a new adapter.

If you went to a skinny gasket you might think your pickup is too close to the bottom of the fan, but with oil temperature being at coolant temperature and not making it to the filter, the bypass sure seems like it is not allowing the oil to go anywhere but the block.
        Last edited by anotheridiot; April 8, 2019, 07:18 AM.

Comment

The new gasket replaced the same type that was leaking under the timing cover.
          Everything was fine until the oil went to 210F...the adapter swap came after.

The previous adapter I had in there had the bypass blocked off....no problems.
          Looking at oil circulation diagrams there is an internal bypass which if there are issues at the filter direct oil on up to the main galley.

Which ever way you cut it I'm going to have to remove the oil pan......twice in 3 weeks....
          Click image for larger version  Name:	oilpasse3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	98.5 KB ID:	1239701
          Last edited by malc; April 8, 2019, 07:49 AM.

Comment

I'd say you done something to the pickup... But you have pressure and oil up top.
            By pass is working as it bypasses the filter to save the motor (usually because of dirty filters)
            Maybe the gasket or something is blocking access to the filter..
            Hopefully not a glob of silicone.

Comment

My "research" found this, a hidden plug that as CHEVY DIY says.....
              "This cutaway shows the location of the hidden plug in the oil gallery. This plug must be removed to thoroughly clean the galleries. If it is not replaced, oil pressure will be erratic and oil will not flow through the oil filter."

Can´t say this is definitely the problem but if that little plug has gone astray it would could give the results I´m suffering....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hidden_Plug.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1239727

Comment

Driven or threaded plug?
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Apparently driven.....later they rammed a ball bearing in there.

The plug has to be removed for cleaning the oil passages.
                  Last edited by malc; April 8, 2019, 12:55 PM.

Comment

I am with bob.. that plug you found is forever or a blown engine.

I have a 305 chevy with the factory cooler.. there is at least 5 things bouncing around as bypasses.
                    no problems at all.. now at 374k miles.

the height of pickup off the pan would be my guess.

I also hate oil filters.
                    I went with stainless mesh, with natural drainback if it wants to.

that is another thing you should be getting if that plug is gone.
                    a big cold rod like noise nearly every start.
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

The oil pickup has been in the right place for years.
                      The oil is circulating....it's getting to the rockers so it must be travelling the main gallery and feeding the mains.
                      What it is'nt doing is passing through the filter and as the cooler lines are connected at the filter oil is not reaching the cooler.

I thought this might be a "known" occurance in small block chevies and some one could point
                      me in some direction.

Comment

Sooo, the engine has NORMAL oil pressure at all times ( a little lower when it is at 210*) - correct?
                        The oil filter is not as full as NORMAL - correct?
                        Is the oil filter adapter a "sandwich" style deal?
                        Does the oil filter adapter also have a by-bass valve in it?
                        If so is it possible that it is installed "upside down" so that the oil flows through the filter first and then goes to the adapter to the cooler?
                        Could this cause the filter to think it is blocked and then bypass the filter and flow back into the engine bypassing the filter and cooler entirely?

I don't know anything about Chevys but it just seems very unlikely that that plug could just "disappear" or develop a hole that would then allow all the oil to bypass the filter entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                          Sooo, the engine has NORMAL oil pressure at all times ( a little lower when it is at 210*) - correct?
                          The oil filter is not as full as NORMAL - correct?
                          Is the oil filter adapter a "sandwich" style deal?
                          Does the oil filter adapter also have a by-bass valve in it?
                          If so is it possible that it is installed "upside down" so that the oil flows through the filter first and then goes to the adapter to the cooler?
                          Could this cause the filter to think it is blocked and then bypass the filter and flow back into the engine bypassing the filter and cooler entirely?

I don't know anything about Chevys but it just seems very unlikely that that plug could just "disappear" or develop a hole that would then allow all the oil to bypass the filter entirely.
                          This is all what I was thinking, but he did say that this happened before he changed the adapter and continued to happen with the new adapter and that eliminates the thought of the new adapter being bad. The oil cooling he has is simply from the block being cooled.

He went opposite direction with the pan gasket, so he got the pan farther away from the pickup, not a skinnier gasket that could have gotten too close.

I have always been the one to change the oil pump when going thru the work of changing the pan gasket.

Comment

The oil cooler adapter cannot be installed upside down, no bypass in it.
                            I've always used the 'thick' Fel Pro gasket.
                            When I took the filter and cooler adapter off the oil filter adapter was dry.....oil is not coming out of the block into the filter.
                            Tomorrow I start the task of removing the oil pan and when the pump comes off we might see.
                            I'll be poking about in the oil feed holes etc.
                            Unbelieveable but I rediscovered an oil pump in the garage so I won't be out $150 on a new pump.
                            I'll also disassemble the pump when it comes off.

Comment

why would you change the pump, when the pump in the engine is making sufficient pressure?

But yeah, it is a good idea to pull the main cap off and see if the plug is there, where it belongs.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X