No announcement yet.

94 suburban axle yoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what about solid spacers? It MIGHT take a little longer to set up the preload but once done you can change yokes daily without concern.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
      So what about solid spacers? It MIGHT take a little longer to set up the preload but once done you can change yokes daily without concern.
      solid spacers pretty much require a crushed sleeve. Set up the axle, pull it back apart and make a spacer the same thickness as the sleeve. Of course, that also means arguing with the shop because they will point out that to crush a sleeve further requires an order of force that puts a laundry list of other things that will break on your list.... but they'll gladly charge you the $100 or $200 to do it.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
        I spent most of a personal day ( truck being down ) to find another yoke a pull a part . Seems I have the only 14 bolt 6 lug underneath a half ton suburban . ( I don't this is really true but I couldn't find another one ) I couldn't even find a 3/4 ton Suburban ( which probably would have had one . I did find an old 3/4 ton chevy van but I could not get enough room to get enough leverage to get it off . So now It'll have to sit till wed while I wait for a new one to come at $80 bucks instead of $15 . Mine wasn't really on that tight . I got it of with a 1 1/4 inch socket on a 1/2 inch drive craftsman breaker bar . Jim I really appreciate you telling me the right way . SBG I really appreciate you telling me the way I resigned myself to doing it after watching some guy from Chicago do it on youtube would probably work . Bob and Russell thanks for your experiences as well . I'll let you all know how it goes .
        j perry garage.. maybe find him on facebook.

I will be driving there to massachussetts some time this summer.
        he has an nv4500, transfer, 14 bolt 6 lug.. over 70 trucks.

should not be hard to find.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

solid spacers pretty much require a crushed sleeve. Set up the axle, pull it back apart and make a spacer the same thickness as the sleeve. Of course, that also means arguing with the shop because they will point out that to crush a sleeve further requires an order of force that puts a laundry list of other things that will break on your list.... but they'll gladly charge you the $100 or $200 to do it.
          What is this "shop" you speak of?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

What is this "shop" you speak of?
            it's the place that many use but get totally run over with unscrupulous pricing because no one is will to impart a bit of knowledge on them....
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

again, not a Chevy guy but for 9" fords that originally use a crush sleeve - Richmond and others sell a solid spacer "kit" that comes with a stack of shims that you use to get the right preload. Yes, you do have to take the pinion out a couple of times to get the preload right. Dana 60s use shims no crush sleeve at all. I would have thought that 10 and 12 bolt chevy rear ends would have similar aftermarket support but maybe not.

Sorry for the disruption - carry on

Comment

you can buy a solid spacer for a 14 bolt. It's a bit pricier than for a 9" because of the shape of the crush sleeve.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

There is aftermarket support for the 14 bolts..
                  There are kits to make them 5 lug ends to be installed in derby cars.

Comment

If the nut was not as tight as the junk yard ones, there is a pretty good chance you have some room left to tighten that thing down again. Try not to let the axle move and I would do it.

Comment

Got it put together and now checking fluid levels in diff,T case , and filling the trans . The yoke by the time taxes and shipping to the retailer was $102 . Double that and I could have just bought another 14 bolt......maybe even out of a 3/4 ton .
                      Last edited by Dan Barlow; April 18, 2019, 04:55 PM.
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                      X