ladder bar length--vs--wheelbase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

48 would be better then 67

though I don't think you're hearing me.... I'm telling you to build it yourself, you'll be out poly bushings (presuming you don't have a set floating around).... build a 4 link that uses leaf springs rather then coil overs out of those ladder bars (thus you can float the spring mount). Anyone can bolt on springs..... don't forget, my hatred of Pirate stems from their idiotic attitude that car people don't know anything.... according to them, it's special gravity off-road... special traction..special little sunbeams..... and they all paint their rigs yellow in honor of the short bus they rode in the 8 years of 1st grade... and they're all so special since I've given them a STFU with how well my rig plays on and off road....

oh and if you do want to spend dollars... do the long-leaf-spring conversion and reverse the shackles. long leafs and reversed shackles are about the cheapest way possible to get decent travel for no bucks (since those springs are found on older chevy and ford trucks).... if you spend $100 Hawaii dollars doing all that (including the springs), you've spent twice too much.

and another trick, take the front sway bar off, put a 7/8" sway bar off a Ford 1 ton dually on the back. people try to make the back all slinky when tires don't care how all 4 stay on the ground making the front flex is actually pretty easy then you can have the best of both worlds - when you nail it, the rear stays planted and the front ... get this... steers the vehicle because the sway bar isn't trying to pull one tire off the ground.... I don't run a sway bar on the front of my '40....
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 3, 2019, 09:05 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      48 would be better then 67
      .... if you spend $100 Hawaii dollars doing all that (including the springs), you've spent twice too much....

well lets see, 1.5"x1/8 wall tubing is now $18/ft here....

the biggest drawback to living in hawaii (besides
      shipping ...) is cost of living. 92 octane is $4/gallon
      and a loaf of bread is $5, gallon of milk $9......

i literally cant do or build ANYTHING for $100, not
      even an alternator bracket. when i needed a 2x3 box
      for the ladder x-member on the 55, i went to the scrap
      bins at 3 local steel places--cheapest was $175. for SCRAP.

a full 20ft piece was $400+...............

hell a 1lb roll of fluxcore wire for the 110 welder is $37..........

Comment

Maybe try something like this?
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
          Maybe try something like this?
          That is what I'm talking about. Except the plate should be off the rear, not springs.. To keep the yoke in sync with the 3rd member..

Comment

Or,,,Centrally located bar(as close to the pinion as possible} with the forward pivot in line with the forward eye bolts...possibly using a spherical rod end for articulation
            Last edited by silver_bullet; May 5, 2019, 01:57 PM.
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

well lets see, 1.5"x1/8 wall tubing is now $18/ft here....

the biggest drawback to living in hawaii (besides
              shipping ...) is cost of living. 92 octane is $4/gallon
              and a loaf of bread is $5, gallon of milk $9......

i literally cant do or build ANYTHING for $100, not
              even an alternator bracket. when i needed a 2x3 box
              for the ladder x-member on the 55, i went to the scrap
              bins at 3 local steel places--cheapest was $175. for SCRAP.

a full 20ft piece was $400+...............

hell a 1lb roll of fluxcore wire for the 110 welder is $37..........
              you have a cutting wheel and I'm sure inattentive neighbors.... a few CV axles (just the tube) and you're set

Or, I hear your brother needs you to watch mom (and his stuff) in Maui often enough.... heck, it's what my brother did - he called it "living off the fat of the land"
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 6, 2019, 02:51 PM.

Comment

you have a cutting wheel and I'm sure inattentive neighbors.... a few CV axles (just the tube) and you're set

Or, I hear your brother needs you to watch mom (and his stuff) in Maui often enough.... heck, it's what my brother did - he called it "living off the fat of the land"

sadly my brother wouldnt p@ss in my mouth if my teeth were on fire.....
                cv axles, you say? hmmm.......... might have to start looking for some junk ones on craigslist....

Comment

point is there's steel all around you - get creative

Comment

point is there's steel all around you - get creative
                    right--just dont want to mistake any "emt" or schedule 40 pipe for tubing and end up
                    with weak/questionable components............

Comment

right--just dont want to mistake any "emt" or schedule 40 pipe for tubing and end up
                      with weak/questionable components............
                      right, maybe you should buy it instead I would certainly use schedule 40 for that (even though it's heavy) or even welded seam.... if it fails it's simply going to crack and you can reweld it.... roll cage? close doesn't count but a track bar? why not?

FourWheeler magazine this month has a Chevy truck on its cover that made me look twice to see whether it was a belated April Fools edition. If you see the magazine, look at his track bar then ask yourself, what, exactly, the effect of it would be.... never go full retard, and yet they did.... the end of the track bar lifts at the rear bumper....

Comment

the end of the track bar lifts at the rear bumper....
                        What? You can't be serious?

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Rock Crawler thing. One less thing to high center on and the shackle echos the spring shackle. SBG said ya gotta SEE it, so....

Click image for larger version

Name:	trackbar.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	1242958
                          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

although thats definately not 'conventianal', i can almost see it working---
                            as when the pinion tries to climb under acceleration, the other end of the bar
                            will pull down on bumper "theoretically" loading the springs and planting the tires....
                            i guess?

Comment

although thats definately not 'conventianal', i can almost see it working---
                              as when the pinion tries to climb under acceleration, the other end of the bar
                              will pull down on bumper "theoretically" loading the springs and planting the tires....
                              i guess?
                              so it pulls down on the rear bumper and lifts the front suspension.... you want separation, not squat....

Comment

so it pulls down on the rear bumper and lifts the front suspension.... you want separation, not squat....
                                maybe he wants it to pull monster truck wheelies.....
                                im sure it stops wheelhop either way, tho i get what youre
                                saying bout seperation. maybe he compromised that to get
                                better wheelhop control? i dunno. i been hit in the head alot, so..................

Comment

Working...
                                X