woops.. diesel pumped instead of gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• woops.. diesel pumped instead of gas

going to pick the car up via trailer and pickup this friday.
    my stepmom filled her buick enclave with diesel. she caught on and never started it.

aside from obvious draining...
    would you get a new fuel pump, the screen and all?

I may help fix it.. thinking ahead.

hydro carbons are sticky. It will have soaked in the liquid coal for 4 days by the time we get.. and it will be shaken on the trailer for the ride home.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

I did not think the diesel nozzle fit in regular tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
      I did not think the diesel nozzle fit in regular tanks.
      me either.. she might have even pumped in the offroad section of the gas station.
      the owner of the place was so surprised, he is letting the car park right out front for 4 days... for free.

very busy place in NH, where fuel is cheaper.

75% gas 25% diesel is a guess on the ratio, it might be ok.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

Barry , How full is the tank . Figuring that it's almost full . The pump and screen should be fine. It's not like she was pumping sludge in there . If you don't have a pump with a long hose to pump it out so you don't have to disconnect the fueling coming out of the tank if it was my car I'd just burn it out .
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
          Barry , How full is the tank . Figuring that it's almost full . The pump and screen should be fine. It's not like she was pumping sludge in there . If you don't have a pump with a long hose to pump it out so you don't have to disconnect the fueling coming out of the tank if it was my car I'd just burn it out .
          dad wants to drop the tank, flip it upside down, pump out etc...
          we'll get it if he doesn't hire someone

I have never encountered this problem ever.. not in my own car, none of my friends and relatives ever.

first time ever.

that ratio is 75% diesel, 25 gas.. I m thinking if she turned the key on at all, it is going to be a mess.
          she just said she did not start it. to move car she must have turned key on to get a neutral gear.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

cheap electric solid state fuel pump from napa, several feet of hose, and a spare car battery..

been there, done that. (not for diesel, old gas....) worked like a charm.

Comment

Oh , well yeah , that ratio probably would run at all . I was thinking the opposite . Fatguyzince has the idea then . If it doesn't, the hose may be floating . Just put a foot of steel line on the end . If the tank is full and you get 3/4 of it out , I'd call it good .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

P.S . All the gas in the line to the engine is still 100% gas . So , if you need to get it up on a trailer I'd drive it and save my back .Then again , you could pump 3/4s of it out drive it to the pump then fill it with gas .
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I've ran almost 50/50 gas/diesel.. Hot motor diesels anyway. Very hard to start cold.. Turn it off, will run until you choke it..
                  75/25 isn't bad.. But new cars with cats?
                  I'd siphon as much out as can then add as much as possible of gas.. Merely forthe cats

Comment

drain the tank, fill with gas, win. a bit of diesel in the system won't do anything to it. going the opposite direction (gas in a diesel) can cause huge problems, but I've made gas motors run better by putting some diesel in the carb to lube and release stuff inside.... no harm, no foul... heck, there's even videos of this
                    It's #ThrowbackThursday! Jon Bentley demonstrates what happens if you fill up a car with the wrong fuel, and if you can save it after the damage has been mad...
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 8, 2019, 10:44 PM.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

well, if she turned the key on to get it in neutral, without pulling the fuel pump relay, then the fuel was circulating and probably returning and mixing the tank, so no guarantee on that fuel line being full of good gas.

Comment

"so no guarantee on that fuel line being full of good gas." The fuel pump pickup is on the bottom of the gas tank and the diesel (oil) should be floating on top the gas when sitting still but after you drive it and mix it up it there will probably be some diesel in the fuel lines
                        Last edited by dieselhead; May 9, 2019, 10:42 AM.

Comment

ended up driving all night.. car on uhaul trailer
                          the 2016 half ton did good for all that tongue wight of the egg shaped enclave AWD

it is finally at the dealer, seems to be no big deal right now. will find out soon enough
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                          X