Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Amp Automotive Relay Sources

Howdy,

Its time to wire up my fan and since it's ECM controlled and I have the stock wiring blocks still in place I have to translate GM 2spd fan to Ford 2spd fan for the 3.8L Taurus fan. GM feeds the fans with a single 12V supply to both motors for low and then independent 12V supplies for high. To get this into the Ford independent trigger leg setup I need a 70Amp power relay for turning all the fans on (radiator, oil, and trans cooler fans), and a 50Amp double pole relay to run Low off of 87a and High off of 87. I guess I could do it with 2 50 relays for Low and High then a cheap double pole control relay to turn them on but I'd like to avoid putting a huge amount of relays on the car just to control the fans.

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: High Amp Automotive Relay Sources

this isnt' going to be a LOT of help but... the Hubers found some relays made by Bosch that have screw terminals, that are 100amps and up.

They got them from the Fire Station down the street, who uses them to run lights and other equipment on their trucks. I asked about where they got them, they said they also come in kits for offroad lighting. I later found another few of them at a local offroad 4WD place.

What was awesome about them was, they mount to something flat like firewall or fender, and have screw terminals so they're easily installed and serviced...

let me know if you can't find them and I'll do some digging, I'm sure they're online somewhere. But they are nice pieces!

-Scott
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Can't use a mechanical fan, engine is not designed for it. The trans and oil coolers are not located in front of the radiator anyway, they have to have electric fans.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I don't know how ugly you want to get but Grainger's sells some HD 12V relays intended for snow plow equip., ect.. They look like starter solenoids
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

hi cooling fan relay - low cooling fan relay
            are you triggering them with the ECT through the ECM ?
            I usually wire them right off of B+
            have a redundant switch on the ground side

Comment

I'm gonna be no help..
              but when you find them..
              cough up the part #..
              and thank you.. ;D

Comment

Working...
              X