GPS SPeedos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS SPeedos

Anyone have experience with these? We had the hurst indy shifter on the camaro, was able to use the speedo cable, it was off like 10 mph, got the black gear we needed, but need to change the drive gear to use it. But then we went with the real camaro shifter since the hurst is like 35 years old and not really too consistent and cant use the driver side cable.

I would really like to get a 4 1/2 inch speedo and mount it behind the bullet plastic on the original dash. I took the guts from a tach and got the stock face refit with it, but its still 5-700 off.

I have heard horror stories about having to mount a magnet to a driveshaft to use electronic speedos, just seems our only option is to rebuild the other muncie with the passenger side speedo and swap transmissions if we want to keep the original.

I have some experience using my phone in old cars on road trips, when the speedo quit working....it works, but it also kind of sucks. But I've read that the GPS speedos work ok, aside from at low speeds like school zones, etc. The odometer might or might not work well.

I'd do what it takes to get the real speedo working, but I'm an idiot.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

50.00 in and got a black and white gear from a place that said, IF YOUR DRIVE IS ON THE DRIVERS SIDE YOU NEED THE .870 diameter gear.

Well, it is, and I need the .810 gear, but no matter what I can only get to 22 teeth with a little gear and that wont calibrate the speedo with the 4:11 since its closer to 24, which definitely needs a different drive gear..

So IF I want to just use the tailstock from the one in the car, still have to change the output shaft since the drive gear is 1/2 inch difference location. And to pull the output you might as well finish the rebuild and use the other case too. Really trying to stay away from their digital dash but getting holleys efi stuff, its 500 for the speedo and tach. I saw a few on Amazon for 65.00 for the speedo and 39 for a tach, but they are 3 3/8 diameter.

The main problem is never trusting the fuel gauge and been going by mileage, well, and seeing what mileage hopefully grows to since it sounds like he is running about 60% of the rpm's that 700R4 was using.

Comment

My mustang doesn't have a working speedo, but I only drive it every once in a while, Not counting DW, I just throw my phone in front of the speedo and turn on Waze.

I like it it sometime warns you of things ahead, and it normally tell me the speed limit so it I was not paying attention when it changed I can look down any time and tell what zone I am in.

When the trans come out and apart I will change the drive get so I can get a gear the last the high tooth gears get eaten.
        Last edited by Russell; May 14, 2019, 01:07 PM.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

got a speedhut GPS speedo in the vette, 5 wires--ground, power,
          lights, memory, and the antenna. it uses a 'line of sight' type
          pickup mounted on dash, so going thru tunnels or garages it goes to "0"--
          but other than that it works AWESOME...

it also has a 0-60, 1/4 mile, top speed, etc function.......

Comment

I went to electronic sensor on my FJ40. It works well, my issue with GPS is it lags or won't read if there is anything blocking the signal. Further, the farther you are from the equatorial geo-orbit of the satellite, the more often obstruction will prevent getting a reading. Honesty, the 'gps' speedometers that usually simply use your cell-phone signal/towers is the most accurate outside of direct cable or electro sensor.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              I went to electronic sensor on my FJ40. It works well, my issue with GPS is it lags or won't read if there is anything blocking the signal. Further, the farther you are from the equatorial geo-orbit of the satellite, the more often obstruction will prevent getting a reading. Honesty, the 'gps' speedometers that usually simply use your cell-phone signal/towers is the most accurate outside of direct cable or electro sensor.
              electronic sensor like mounted on the driveshaft or into a stock speed sensor? I mean, they just had the electric company putting a box on the pole by my garage, I asked if it was anything interesting and he said they are putting cell towers on the poles now. So in chicago, I dont think GPS is an issue, its just getting past the advertising to figure out which one. Seems none of them want their machines altered to fit in a stock location and since I already have a gauge pod in the glove box, I dont really need extra holes on a classic dash. I saw a module to put a remote sensor on the muncie, that looks like it just picks up the turn of the square shaft end, but I dont even think there is enough room for that.

GM/ MOPAR Electric Speedometer Sending Unit. This Sensor will fit all transmissions with a 7/8"x18 Thread on the cable output on the transmission. On Muncie Transmissions you will need to remote mount the sensor.
              Last edited by anotheridiot; May 15, 2019, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post

electronic sensor like mounted on the driveshaft or into a stock speed sensor?
                uses a reluctor wheel and magnetic pickup on the output shaft of the Dana 300 - I got mine from Dakota Digital but they're not the only source. Whoever Compucruise is these days make ones that attach to a driveshaft - that would be in harm's way on my rig.The reason I went with this was to shorten the rear driveshaft... the gear housing and shaft gear add a couple inches to the length of the output shaft.

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 15, 2019, 07:00 AM.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

also if the only issue is that the ratio of the drive gears is wrong, you can get a ratio adapter box made and use that where the cable attaches to the transmission. Or in line in the cable, if there isn't room because of the shifter.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

the speedhut one uses real time satellite feed, there are NO magnets or anything else--just
                    a wired antenna with a small (1"x1/2"x1/4") dash mounted box.

i also used a scrap of 1/2x1/4 box and 2 giant radiator/hose clamps to mount it on the column
                    like the tachometers of old days...

i get home on the 22nd, if you want pics ill take some when i get home. in the meantime this is the one
                    im using....again, no magnets or reluctor wheels, its just an antenna pickup on the dash.

3-3/8" GPS Speedometer 120mphwith Lifetime Warranty | Custom Build Your Gauge

Comment

Half of the battle is trying to get it to look original. I bought a 270 degree tach and took the guts out and mounted it behind the stock faceplate, but its 500 off so have little confidence actually disassembling something to get it to fit is going to work.. They have what look like speedhuts all over amazon starting at 69.00 for the 3 3/8, just would really look wrong behind a stock dash. All kinds of name but look like the same unit.

The cable worked with the hurst shifter, but being 35 years old and a novice manual driver, needed something a little more consistent.

I guess I am just looking for an answer that is easier than changing the transmission to the passenger cable tailstock and all the rest included to change the drive gear.

So f'n sick of this sniper deal so paying 1000 for a digital dash to look that shitty in a classic is not the route the car needs to go, but apparently its an actual tablet that allows you to tune thru a touch screen.

Comment

at the risk of making a fool out of myself again. Could you use something like this

I have a VDO electronic speedo on my wagon - the sending unit hooks up to the gear assembly in the tail housing. I know you can get the right size gears but on mine I can change rear end gears without having to change speedometer cable gears. The electronic speed has enough adjustability to easily deal with a 3.50 to 3.89 change.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
                          Half of the battle is trying to get it to look original. I bought a 270 degree tach and took the guts out and mounted it behind the stock faceplate.....
                          They have what look like speedhuts all over amazon starting at 69.00 for the 3 3/8, just would really look wrong behind a stock dash. All kinds of name but look like the same unit.

yes, i understand--i went with a 'retro' moon 180 degree tach for the 55 because it 'looks right'...
                          but id rather have 'looks wrong but works good AND was super easy to install' than the
                          'dont work right--but it LOOKS good' dealio, you know? i guess unfortunately you have
                          to decide if you want to do "X" amount more work just to get the look you want.

i always said function over form, and IF i can make it look good as well then so be it.
                          how bout mounting in a chrome cup under dash? or on column...maybe paint face different
                          color? i dunno, you gots to make that judgement call...........

hope you find something that works for you--and that it doesnt cost an arm and 3 legs as well....

Comment

We put an electronic autometer speedo in the F250. It is programmable and we have it reading off the ABS sensor in the right front wheel. But a semi-crafty guy could set up a sensor to read just about anything, like the heads of the wheel studs on the backside of the hub.
                            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                              at the risk of making a fool out of myself again. Could you use something like this

I have a VDO electronic speedo on my wagon - the sending unit hooks up to the gear assembly in the tail housing. I know you can get the right size gears but on mine I can change rear end gears without having to change speedometer cable gears. The electronic speed has enough adjustability to easily deal with a 3.50 to 3.89 change.
                              that is alot cheaper than what classic dash was offering with no pigtail. I got a 20.00 one to see if there is room, but thinking about it, seems like maybe putting a trans in a newer car with speed sensors for gauges might be what these are for since I am having a hard time locating a speedo that works with the 16 pulse signal.. first thing is finding something that fits, then I guess figuring out what will read it.

Comment

Working...
                              X