No announcement yet.

GPS SPeedos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to add more junk to the solution. I also put one of these on my wagon.

I have a 57 Ford Ranch Wagon with a C6 and GearVendor. There isn't alot of room in the tunnel. I put the 90* adapter on the transmission then a short cable to the sender for the GearVendor then piggybacked the sender for the VDO speedometer on it. Had I known all I know now when I was originally building this car, I wouldn't have used the short cablem- just the 90* adapter with the two senders piggy backed on it.

As to the earlier link - that was just meant as an example of a possible solution. I might suggest you go look at Autometer or VDO or the gauge manufacture of your choice and see what they offer for sending units for their electronic speedometers. Given my level of skill with electronics I surely would try to use a matched pair of sender and gauge as to avoid any conversion requirements.

Comment

well, the 20.00 speed sensor adapter is about 3 inches long and an inch around before the cable, so thats bigger than the cable so far. The 20.00 gps speedo with odometer is in a heavy box somewhere with some GOJO. When you really want something thru amazon, dont order anything else.

Comment

Probably works fine for daily driving but what we've seen at ECTA is that the faster you go the more the GPS overestimates your speed. We've had any number of first time Hayabusa guys show up claiming that they're going to go 200+ today and we tell them "No, you'll do 183ish" (we've seen a LOT of stock 'Busas). "But my GPS said I went 202 (or whatever) on the expressway when no one else was around." Either all these guys were lying - and lying by about the same amount - or they were all running downhill, OR the GPS tends to overestimate at higher speeds. After seeing this a lot my tendency is to think that the GPS reads high.

When I use the GPS (a TomTom) in my truck on the highway at 75ish it seems to agree with the stock speedo but I never get up to 180ish so I can't tell if my personal GPS supports my theory.

Dan

Comment

Those bikes might have gone 200+ out on the road, but I bet they traveled more than a mile or they started at a 100 roll.
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

GPS works off time differentials to calculate location or speed. They receive a time encoded signal transmitted from a satellite and compare that with signals received from other satellites. It uses these time differentials to calc the distance from you to the satellites to determine your speed and position. Single receiver GPS stuff (like a speedo, handheld or phone) are not super accurate. +- 20 feet or worse for location when sitting still and I imagine the faster you are moving, their ability to calculate speed accurately degrades accordingly.
            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

I run an Autometer GPS speedo. Love it, and it is accurate as checked by radar guns, right on the money. I have had no overestimation of speed at higher rates of speed.

Comment

Funny that hotrodharley posts when the bulk of what I need for a retrofit in the stock dash (5 inch) are mainly motorcycle size gauges.The only nice ones I have seen are either multi gauges, half speedp half tach or dont have a decent enough looking twin for the other. Looked at the old tyme gauge from Autometer for 239 that you need the 139 gps module to make work, but they look like they belong more 40-50. Their muscle car kinda matches the 68 Camaro SS gauges I have, but it was a speedo and fuel on that cluster. the 20.00 one seems fine to keep an eye on speed, but it does not accumulate mileage when its turned off, so its either adding a battery to the line that I would doubt would charge enough on a 10 minute ride.

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
                  GPS works off time differentials to calculate location or speed. They receive a time encoded signal transmitted from a satellite and compare that with signals received from other satellites. It uses these time differentials to calc the distance from you to the satellites to determine your speed and position. Single receiver GPS stuff (like a speedo, handheld or phone) are not super accurate. +- 20 feet or worse for location when sitting still and I imagine the faster you are moving, their ability to calculate speed accurately degrades accordingly.
                  I think BBR has the answer. Not many folks have been 180 to 200 to check the GPS speedo at higher speeds but I've heard BBRs explanation from other science geeks so I tend to think that's reality. Again, probably fine for real-world driving.

Dan

Comment

Finally made a decision if anyone is still following choices here, http://www.marshallinstruments.com/c...erformance.cfm No the speedo does not come with a antenna, so thats off in another direction to get a good one. There was no online option to order, so googled and came to ebay ads. They offered to send me a GPS antenna for 40, probably should have tried it. The 5" fit nicely after making a new backing plate out of .063 aluminum. The bezel took up the space of the punched backing plate that houses the front side of the speedo (painted with the fluorescent green) so the holes and pins matched perfectly and was still able to use the original plastic with the shiny chrome circle around the side.
                    The 60's muscle would have been a real close match, but no 5" option. Downside was sending an odometer reset little button switch that needs to be soldered thru a little 3/8 square cutout on the back of the gauge. The button leads have solder that looks to just hold down with at tiny soldering tip to fuse, but with my luck I would wreck the board. Looks like a simple ground deal, but the autometer gauges all had buttons on the front and with my pig headed thought process of keeping it original looking, we would have had to lose the stock lens or remove it to use the buttons.
                    The problem came up of losing the turn signal indicators, well, there is a second bulb terminal above the battery always on terminal that we hooked the indicator wires up to, and as long as the dash lights are off, the pointer blinks. Better than nothing I guess. (Yes, it is important when you cannot hear the flasher relay) When the lights are on, it wont anymore though. We were hoping to just make the entire light blink, but that seems like we would need the back light led on all the time and have it turn off when a signal is on.

So bottom line, the COMP II LED, 149 for the speedo, 109 for the matching tach, 89 was the lowest price for the antenna, most were listed at 119, so I guess trying the 40 would have been a good idea. Problem being, it needs to see the sky, so there is an ugly factor if you are putting it on your rear shelf or dash.

Thanks for all the suggestions to know what to look for.
                    Last edited by anotheridiot; June 6, 2019, 06:31 AM.

Comment

I have a Classic Mini Cooper with 13" vs stock 10" wheels so the speedo is off. I took the GPS from my Motor Home and drove the Mini at 30 -50 -60 and just put marks on the speedo for the correction. I also have a resto-mod 65 Corvette with 17" wheels, but I think the stock height tires, that was also checked with my GPS for speedo accuracy. That one was accurate.

Comment

Working...
                      X