No announcement yet.

Starting problems on my 65 Vette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think he was looking for the factory wiring diagram showing how the ECU is wired to the fuel pump relay, which powers the pump for two seconds at Key On.

btw there isn't anything on the starter that will be involved with getting power to the ignition or fuel pump circuit. They ran a wire from the battery to the stud on the horn relay, and power was distributed to other places from there. You're used to other Chevys that have the battery cable attached to the starter solenoid, and the other power feeds come from there. This car isn't like that.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

As the longtime owner of a '64... Ground wires are your frenemies There must at a bare minimum be a proper ground cable from the battery negative to the bellhousing, a separate ground strap from the engine to the frame (not motor mounts), another ground strap at the rear of the frame to a corner of the fuel tank for the rear electrics. You will also need to verify that the ground wires from underneath the dash are accounted for directly to one of the frame grounds and with a decent gauge ground to frame ground. All of the pesky gremlins I have had on this car were because of bad grounds. EFI - be careful to isolate the grounds and the power from the new ECU with dedicated wires of appropriate gauge directly to the battery posts as possible - direct ground, relay for power from positive terminal to the ECU.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post

Well, if you feel that is necessary, I am sure the stock wiring on anything includes getting power to the ignition coil thru the run circuit on the solenoid on the starter. So if someone is going to put an aftermarket electric fuel pump on anything they will most likely tap in at that point.

I really did not think that had to be explained to you experts. I am sure there are guys running 55 Chevys that way too.
        that's funny, there were words that included "show me a picture" and you haven't done so.... so weird that you have not, must be because you're not an expert.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          I think he was looking for the factory wiring diagram showing how the ECU is wired to the fuel pump relay, which powers the pump for two seconds at Key On.

btw there isn't anything on the starter that will be involved with getting power to the ignition or fuel pump circuit. They ran a wire from the battery to the stud on the horn relay, and power was distributed to other places from there. You're used to other Chevys that have the battery cable attached to the starter solenoid, and the other power feeds come from there. This car isn't like that.
          ECU, in a 1965 Corvette.... does it have vacuum tubes?
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

Thank you for being civil about it.

Comment

Well I took the starter out. Now remember this is a 392 Hemi squeezed into the chevy. First it looks like they found a smaller starter to fit in behind the exhaust. When I pulled it out I found the heavy copper wire that goes from the solenoid to the starter was bad and someone had put a big gob of solder on it. Well that was a poor fix and had vibrated enough to result in a poor conductive path.

I took it down to NAPA who is doing a repair on it. He is upgrading the starter wiring to high torque which will replace that heavy wire to the solenoid and checking the solenoid for any issues. Should be back this week.

Comment

Originally posted by kolsen911 View Post
                ............. Now remember this is a 392 Hemi squeezed into the chevy.............

plot twist.... i sure didnt see that coming.

Comment

I love a happy ending. I figured it was something to do with the swap, but I'm glad I didn't enter my guess into the running. Electric fuel pumps from the 60s and 70s were notoriously unreliable. I didn't realize it was the whole car dying from the OP. Might want to consider looking at and possibly updating it though.
                  My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by kolsen911 View Post
                    ............... Now remember this is a 392 Hemi squeezed into the chevy ..............
                    Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
                    plot twist.... i sure didnt see that coming.
                    Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha ......

Comment

Checked with NAPA yesterday. He's not able to upgrade to HI-Torque but I didn't have any problems starting it anyway, especially after I got the 1000 CCA battery. Should be done today. Rebuilt the starter and solenoid so should be a plug and play. He did say nothing was original. As I may have said this engine, trans, rear end combination came from a shop in the SFO bay area that built Hemi's for the drag racers for 30 years. So far I haven't been able to find another street C2 corvette with Chrysler running gear anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                      X