Efi fuel systems E85 compatible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Efi fuel systems E85 compatible

Anybody running E85 with a big cube motor? FiTech 1200 hp kit was recommended to me because it’s e85 compatible. The Holley 1250 kit will not run E85 supposedly. That’s a Holley tech that said that..... what other systems are you guys using?

we have so much preignition when running 87 with the sniper. I cant imagine going the other way.

Comment

I was thinking of trying the go efi 1200 hp. Preignition is not as much of a problem on E85 because of the higher octane. I just want to get a bangshifters view of an FiTech. Most reviews were good but the ones that were bad were all consistent with bad customer service. Now I know it should be takin with a grain of salt but just want some insight into throttle body efi systems

Comment

well, I have seen guys change fast injectors. The "experts" selling the sniper just tell you to send it back for warranyy work, I dont know why they are even afraid to open one up. I think the choice should be who has the information to sell bigger injectors and has parts available. There are some guys running 50/50 e85 on stock units, but we have yet to try it, mainly because we still dont have many e85 stations around chicago.

We started with Edelbrock, seemed to have more power, terrible mileage (yes, it does matter) and no adjustability (spell check says thats not a word). Move to the sniper, pre ordered one, they said, give us your specs, we will email you a file for your tune. Got delayed, delayed again, delayed again, finally got sent and all the time went into the learn program which we can never seem go get out of and techs know nothing about specifics or seem to want to talk about it.

I am sure the next step will be the different manifold, 8 injectors, so you might want to start there.

As far as all those tv shows where they put an efi system on and are immediately in the parking lot doing smoke shows, we have never seen that.
        Last edited by anotheridiot; July 4, 2019, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Figures. For me there is no way around a leading curve. I should have put more thought into building an engine around E85. The major issue with it was availability not tuneability. Didn’t think at all about tuning or realize that 30% more flow is needed to run effectively on E85 . I also like not having to burn gas. I think that the petroleum industry makes too much money and I know it takes petrol to make E85 but at least the alcohol burns clean and allows higher compression ratios than gas

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacpower View Post
            Figures. For me there is no way around a leading curve. I should have put more thought into building an engine around E85. The major issue with it was availability not tuneability. Didn’t think at all about tuning or realize that 30% more flow is needed to run effectively on E85 . I also like not having to burn gas. I think that the petroleum industry makes too much money and I know it takes petrol to make E85 but at least the alcohol burns clean and allows higher compression ratios than gas
            BAsically, our problem is our cam. Its not a problem because the car idles like a freaking blown alcohol car. But low vacuum from big duration is not what these systems want. I called the holley tech line and asked them what kind of puss cam do I have to buy to get this thing to work. I would have just built a stock 327 for the camaro instead of steel crank, forged piston full power build 350 4 bolt motor. He says, you can get around that cam, turn off self tune and set your numbers. Well, isnt that the point, what are the damn numbers we should be looking for. We get the car running really good and two days later it goes back where it was. At least I know when I learned wrong and dont do it again.

I dont know enough about e85, Like my first post, isnt 85 less than 87, 89 or 93? If it is mega octane, I might just get some containers and drive to an e85 station so we can stop buying the octane booster.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post

I dont know enough about e85, Like my first post, isnt 85 less than 87, 89 or 93? If it is mega octane, I might just get some containers and drive to an e85 station so we can stop buying the octane booster.
              The way I understand it is E85 (which is comprised of 85% alcohol and 15% gas) has an octane rating of 108 so it can tolerate more compression. It also requires somewhere around 30% more fuel which means bigger jets/injectors (or longer duty cycle) bigger fuel lines and higher volume pump.

Comment

alcohol hates certain rubber and aluminum parts. you also need 30% more capacity. without knowing why Holley says no, I won't even guess - however a guess is contained in those 3 things I just listed... that said at 1200 hp, nothing is going to be truly plug and play.

800 cfm throttle body is probably the limiting factor, though.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Well as a start my car should only be around 600 hp/tq. I don’t believe that a 461 cid Pontiac needs much more than 800 cfm if it even needs that. The cfm calculated that I plugged my numbers into said that less than 700 cfm will do for this motor. I do know I’ll need a fuel tank and stainless steel lines. I don’t know what to do about the stock fuel pump on the block though. It doesn’t get used with the FiTech. Also wonder how to hook up one of these fuel systems on a engine thats on a test run stand or a dyno. I’d like to test and tune this engine before putting it in my car.

Comment

Well as a start my car should only be around 600 hp/tq. I don’t believe that a 461 cid Pontiac needs much more than 800 cfm if it even needs that. The cfm calculated that I plugged my numbers into said that less than 700 cfm will do for this motor. I do know I’ll need a fuel tank and stainless steel lines. I don’t know what to do about the stock fuel pump on the block though. It doesn’t get used with the FiTech. Also wonder how to hook up one of these fuel systems on a engine thats on a test run stand or a dyno. I’d like to test and tune this engine before putting it in my car.
                    well, you can simply take the push rod out and leave the pump in place if you want, or a block off plate. There are some people that run their fuel lines thru the pump to keep the original look. Fuel just goes from one side to the other under the rubber bellows.

We bought the little fi tech sump for the edelbrock first. That allows your stock fuel pump to fill the sump and a high pressure pump is in that sump that feeds the injection. It worked well, never can say it was ever starving for fuel. That way that is all the high pressure line you need. We also ran aluminum with 37 degree flare fittings, so stainless is overkill and stuck with that aluminum when we replaced the fuel pump in the tank when we switched to the sniper. If you go that route, you can easily run it on the stand.

Comment

Okay so fuel system should be fine. I’ll probably just block it off because mine is run off the cam with an eccentric I believe it’s called.
                      Is it expensive to get an engine on a stand running for break in? I’ve never done this before and I’d like to make sure the engine is broken in before I put it in the car. Should I find a dyno or how does one go about this?

Comment

Okay so fuel system should be fine. I’ll probably just block it off because mine is run off the cam with an eccentric I believe it’s called.
                        Is it expensive to get an engine on a stand running for break in? I’ve never done this before and I’d like to make sure the engine is broken in before I put it in the car. Should I find a dyno or how does one go about this?
                        never went that route. Not many places around me and would prefer to put the 1000 into the next project.
                        I guess you would have to go stainless if you are serious about going to e-85 though.
                        Last edited by anotheridiot; July 15, 2019, 09:58 AM.

Comment

to be clear - I'm not giving an opinion on whether or not it will work on your application, I'm giving you data points so that you can be sure that the system 1) can handle alcohol, 2) that it's injectors are large enough for the increased demand, and 3) that it provides adequate cfm.... as I mentioned before, at this power level - "trust but verify" are words to live by.
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

to be clear - I'm not giving an opinion on whether or not it will work on your application, I'm giving you data points so that you can be sure that the system 1) can handle alcohol, 2) that it's injectors are large enough for the increased demand, and 3) that it provides adequate cfm.... as I mentioned before, at this power level - "trust but verify" are words to live by.
                            I am glad you answered. My son was talking about mixing E85 to raise his octane since he puts 50 bucks a week of 93 to drive back and forth about 7 miles to work 6 days a week.

Comment

That’s outrageous. 7 miles

Comment

Working...
                              X