OEM Electric Evac (smog) pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM Electric Evac (smog) pumps

The BBR needed additional crankcase evac under WOT. It would puke a little oil out the breathers at WOT. Not much, but enough to make me want to find a remedy. This may be due in part to my file fit ring noobieness or the fact 8 giant pistons moving 4.5" at 6000 rpm are creating some very large crankcase pulsations. Whatever the case may be, I decided to use an electric vacuum pump to evac the crankcase. I considered using standard header evacs, but man I would rather swallow a box of razors that pull those headers off again. I read on the web about turbo Buick guys using a electric smog pump as an evac pump. Not so much for HP, but for leak prevention under high boost. I decided this was the route I was gonna take, mainly because I got a pump for free. lol

This is the one I have. It is fron a '99 LS1 Firebird. Later modes look a bit different.

Per instructions I found on the web over at www.turbobuick.com, I popped the case open and removed the foam and the brass washer/rubber washer/spring check valve thingy that sticks up on the left. Then I rtv'd it and snapped the pump back together.

I tested it after the mods and it will dang near suck your finger into the housing when it is running. I mounted it with the factory bracket just behind the passenger's headlight.

I also needed a breather tank for this thing to blow into. Wouldn't you figure that I could not find one anywhere in Amarillo the other day? I figured the local roundy-round speed shop would for sure have one.... no dice. So I stopped at a surplus store (more junk pile than store) and poked around until I had an idea.

I picked up an Army canteen there for $6. I added fittings that are sealed with JBWeld (not in pic) and I have a filter that will clamp to the top tube. lol redneck I know.

This pump is not really supposed to run 100% of the time, I really only need it sucking when I an making some rpms. The plan is to hook it to an rpm activation switch to turn it on at a certain rpm. Some other air pumps, like the ones that come on Ford Mustangs and Tauruses have been reported to work great when used 100% of the time. I may switch to one later, but I got mine for free so begars can't be choosy.

For the time being, I just hooked it up on a manual switch. I found a factory connector with nothing connected to it on the fenderwell. I looked up the wire color and it turned out to be the AC clutch switch wire. So, I just connected to it and the A/C button on the HVAC panel now activates the Aerate/Crankcase evac pump. I still want to set it up with an rpm activation switch, but that can come later.

Here it is tucked over where the battery once was.

Another view showing the canteen breather tank. lol

Current view of the motorvation dept.

Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Re: OEM Electric Evac (smog) pumps

Nice work... I was looking for a vacuum pump prior to the destruction of the Buick motor..... now, no need >

so let's see, HHR fan, HEI distributor, LS1 pump.... you're certainly going the right direction ;D
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

funny thing is , those pumps are the first thing us LT1 guys toss in the trash.

Comment

That's pretty good thinking with the Canteen.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Rockford
          stock AIR is pretty worthless for performance tricks
          there is a formula for how much vacuum you can make power with
          the blowby in the ranger is probably normal
          good luck with it , don't get any water in the pump - locks em up

Comment

nice,, why not for go the rpm switch for turning the fan/pump on, and just use a nos throd. micro switch..
            as you'll only be at high rpm with the throd blades wfo.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
              was thinking the same thing with the water we see them all the time for secondary air codes because of that

Comment

on the old jimmys , I had a guy in the shop change just the pump
                it would come back a week later locked up
                he neglected to do the hard part
                changing the check valves

Comment

Very cool - the catch canteen somehow looks a lot less improvised than it sounds.

You can mod your MegaSquirt to turn on the pump at a preset RPM, you know...

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                    ehh, lots of guys making big N/A power have proven big gains with the few inches of vacuum that the OEM pumps can pull.
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I realize that , but it also has to do with ring gaps and tension - super thin , low drag rings
                      there is also pulling too much vacuum hurting power
                      the fur was flying when joe lepone showed up with a jenkins motor with an old belt driven AC smog pump on the 500 ci chev
                      the extreme rpm was too much for the AC pumps , now they got all kinds of billet vacuum pumps
                      hey - with the unused block mounted fuel pump hole , you can use a 6.5 diesel vacuum pump for the same effect - huh , huh ?

Comment

from the web
                        Why not use an OEM air pump?
                        Most OEM air pumps work great for a little while, but the factory units were not designed to be used in an oily environment. The general pump design is very sound they've proven themselves to be efficient and durable thanks to their heavy duty bearings and high airflow potential, they just need some modifications on the inside to make them compatible with oil. The Ford design pumps significantly out perform all other pumps, except the really high dollar aftermarket pumps. The only problem with an OEM pump direct from the factory is that the components inside were designed for oil-free air. In an oily environment they tended to lock up after only 15-35 runs because they have little carbon parts in them that are designed to be run dry. When oil gets in them it's like sandpaper and they last just a very short period of time ...and then they lock up.

Comment

There's been a lot of discussion recently about OEM electrical air pumps, any comments on those?
                          Yeah - I tested a Corvette electrical pump about three years ago. In testing for pure vacuum, rather than airflow, they only made about 1.5" of mercury on a vacuum gauge. I also tested a Pontiac electrical pump that made about 3", which is about the same as what you would get out of a header pan-evac system. At best the electric pumps I've tested are about equivalent to a pan-evac system. I'm not current with the latest electric pumps because I abandoned that approach based on our testing. The Pontiac pump which has a lot larger motor than the Corvette pump would run the battery down very quickly if there was no alternator to keep the it charged. Again most of these pumps are designed for low air volume and an oil free environment, they might work adequately for a while, even as well as a similar to a pan-evac system, but they won't likely last a long time.

If you decide to try one, make sure and install a vacuum gauge so you can measure how it's doing down track to see if it's keeping up with the blowby the motor is producing. If you want the real horsepower gains of a vacuum pump, you need to maintain around 15" of vacuum at high rpm, not just at idle.

from :http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/vacuum-pumps.html

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
                            Very cool - the catch canteen somehow looks a lot less improvised than it sounds.

You can mod your MegaSquirt to turn on the pump at a preset RPM, you know...
                            That's why I asked about the shift light earlier. I wish it's outputs were large enough to drive a relay w/o any additional circuitry. I'm not 100% sure I know how to make the circuit correctly. I don't want to fry my MS. lol

As for the longevity of the pumps. I guess time will tell, but folks on the Buick site have been running them w/o problems for quite some time now. I know JeffMcKC runs a Ford pump in his Malibu and it was been fine for several years.
                            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

BBR, the circuit to drive a relay is only 3 parts!! impossible to screw up. I've used them to drive everything from water pumps to V-TEC solenoids.

Just do the shift light mod on a separate breadboard and put it up in the top of your MS case if you're afraid of screwing up the main PCB.

it's easy!

-Scott
                              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                              X