Sound deadening options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound deadening options

There are tons of sound deadening materials out there, some cheap, some you'd think were made from unobtanium... This is going into my 67 firebird project, it's going to be a pump gas 632 bbc auto, meant to be driven on the street. I'm not really keen on the spray on materials, anyone have any suggestions?

I used Dynamat and Dynapad on my wagon. Not the cheapest but has held up well and done a decent job with both heat and sound.

Comment

We've used fatmat with good results... no complaints...
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

We've used fatmat with good results... no complaints...
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Buy car insulation direct from USA's supplier for the lightest heat and sound deadening insulation. You will not find a lighter automotive sound deadener!

Probably the cheapest out there. There was another thread on here I left the link for these ceramic spheres that were developed for NASA that we mixed in the paint on the floor pan. I am just not a fan of spraying water (latex) on a car for the lizard skin product.

Comment

I don't have any sound deadener in my go fast cars, I went to a lot of effort to remove what they came with. It's just dead weight.

If you want effective dead weight, try this stuff under quality carpet. It'll weigh a ton, and be real comfy. Especially if you can find it with the foil layer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jute.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1248304
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I put carpet and sound deadened in the Lemans I think from auto custom carpets or something like that. 100-130$ I wanna say. Screwed up the cut around the driver side seatbelt though always something. Overall I’m happy though

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                I don't have any sound deadener in my go fast cars, I went to a lot of effort to remove what they came with. It's just dead weight.
                If you want effective dead weight, try this stuff under quality carpet. It'll weigh a ton, and be real comfy. Especially if you can find it with the foil layer.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	jute.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	21.3 KB ID:	1248304
                I have torn out enough floors from soaked crap like that just holding any water, or sweat from exhaust. Never again.
                Those guys at the site I posted are pretty cool. I had to wait 2 weeks for an order because they were down on hurricane damage help the last time I ordered.

Maybe I did not post that additive here, http://www.hytechsales.com/insulatin...additives.html we mixed them in the polyurethane coat and painted full twice. It sprays thru a 1.8 tip no problem, the spheres are tiny, I guess you need a microscope to see the hole in the middle.

Comment

If you use this type of insulation, you need to park the car indoors most of the time...don't leave it sitting out in the rain for months or years on end. I guess that's not obvious?

Microspheres are tiny, hence the "micro" in the name. They have many uses.
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Obvious does not have to do with the floor sweating and the pad getting drenched and holding water. The expensive stuff dynamat is selling is just closed cell foam, for sound deadening, open cell foam, well, I guess hence the term open meaning it will hold water.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, my wife found this on amazon, so I'll give it a try. Should be plenty for firewall and floorboards. Just trying to keep some of the noise and heat down...

Noico 80 mil 36 sqft car Sound deadening mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Audio Noise Insulation and dampening https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00URUIKAK..._l-pmDb0QVN336

Comment

Another vote for FatMat here. The carpet padding stuff can be used instead of jute backing or to fill in spots the need extra padding (like around the dimmer switch or on top of the trans tunnel if the carpet wants to bunch vs. form over it.
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by Saz View Post
                          Thanks for the replies, my wife found this on amazon, so I'll give it a try. Should be plenty for firewall and floorboards. Just trying to keep some of the noise and heat down...

Noico 80 mil 36 sqft car Sound deadening mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Audio Noise Insulation and dampening https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00URUIKAK..._l-pmDb0QVN336
                          hope you are not disappointed, 80 mil is like what .080 thick. Most of them start at .250. Thats foil.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	jute.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1248304
                            and mice love to build homes out of it.
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post

hope you are not disappointed, 80 mil is like what .080 thick. Most of them start at .250. Thats foil.
                              Lizard skin's recommendation is 40 mil... and it works well with that amount.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X