Doug Nash OD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doug Nash OD

Looking for some help with DN2 I just installed in my '69 C20 Suburban w/454. I picked a rebuilt Turbo400 w/DN2 connected to it. Only has 3 wires that appear long enough to reach engine compartment. Found paperwork that shows it's wired thru resettable fuse block then relay with wiring going to switch on shift column. Does anyone know how this wires up? It's in overdrive now, so with 3.73 gears it's livable, but I'd like be able get it out of OD around town. It dropped rpm by 500 on freeway, exactly what I was looking for.

I had mine figured out before I sold it to a friend. Was not complicated - but I see PhotoBucket is up to their tricks again and all of my info on the DNE2 have been "fuzzed" out.

Here is the thread with all of my thoughts while I was figuring it out. https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...-range-revival

If memory serves, there are 2 posts for wiring connection on the case. When 12+ is applied to one it goes into that range. Remove 12+ from that first post and apply 12+ to the other post and it goes into the other range. It was really that simple, though my unit had the remains of an electronic timed actuation switch to mount on the dashboard.

Totally not needed though. The inside of the case connection has a neat limiting switch mechanism.

I would use a 3 position switch switch to toggle between them while leaving center as a place to PARK the switch with no current flowing to the unit.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Its just interesting to have overdrive without having any of the wires connected.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
        Its just interesting to have overdrive without having any of the wires connected.
        Maybe it was in overdrive when power was disconnected?

I do know that running 24 volts thru the starter by battery cable instead of the selinoid makes the starter stay engaged a little too long.

Comment

The internals have the electric motor shunting a gear selector fork deal back and forth, like a slider. It stays where it stops
          Last edited by STINEY; July 25, 2019, 05:57 PM.
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Stiney, I was hoping you'd respond. I found your old write-up, but frustrated that pics were blurred. I read on another site that it would be in whatever gear it was shut-off in. So being in overdrive works for me for now. It was originally installed in an '81 Suburban in 1987. PO had put about 80k miles on it then scrapped truck. Only issue so far is it leaks a little so I'll keep my eyes open for gasket set and speedo is reading 10 mph low. Found I need a driven gear about 2 or 3 teeth less. I need to figure out how to post pics and show off my purchase. Thanks for the help guys, Bob

Comment

I don't know what you got as speedo cable attachment but my 77 chev one ton has a gear box that screws into the cable mount
              Supposedly changes the output. Maybe around 3-4" square and looks like a 45 degree gear box.
              Maybe that will get you straightened up..

Comment

Working...
              X