Coilover spring rate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or, I don't know, look at this linky...

This Spring Rate Calculator will help you to find an approximate spring rate for your coil-over application. It's easy to use with accurate measurements.
    Many cars have a button on the dash marked 'lighter'. Ever seen one that says 'darker' or 'heavier'? Is it just me?

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
      What is the official way of doing this though, scales under all 4 tires to determine the real weight needed or can you just weigh an axle at a time?
      best to weigh all 4 at once... that said, most think $1200 or more for a scale is a bit pricey for the benefit.... a scale is on my list of wants but there are other ways of figuring weight that are a lot cheaper.... don't forget you can use a bathroom scale - trick is finding the proper balance point so you stay within the scale's range.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

best to weigh all 4 at once... that said, most think $1200 or more for a scale is a bit pricey for the benefit.... a scale is on my list of wants but there are other ways of figuring weight that are a lot cheaper.... don't forget you can use a bathroom scale - trick is finding the proper balance point so you stay within the scale's range.
        Just one of those radar things for me. I went the ebay route, there were scales for 30.00 or so, with this pedestal for weighting groceries that had a 1000 pound capacity. Pulled one out, put it together and it was good pulled the other one out and it only weight half. Great diet scale. They had a big enough platform to hold a tire. Got another with a 500 pound limit snatched up last second. I did not stoop as low as buying any antique counting scales that probably would have done a decent job, just storing 4 of them and the ridicule was just too much to go that route.

Comment

unless you're racing, I don't see the point of owning one.... with that said, if a set falls in my lap - I'll use em that said, a lot of tools I own get loaned to friends so they become a lot more useful....

Comment

I either drive or trailer (depending if it runs yet) down to the nearest CO-OP or truckstop and use their scales.
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
              I either drive or trailer (depending if it runs yet) down to the nearest CO-OP or truckstop and use their scales.
              That was how I did the baseline on the wagon. I wish I had a friend with scales as it would be very interesting to know/adjust the 4 corner weights.
              As stated, buy springs - carefully install - send back for different rate until you get it where you want it.

Comment

[QUOTE=cstmwgn;n1249299]

I wish I had a friend with scales...]

You do, just a long drive to borrow them...
                Last edited by htrdharley; August 7, 2019, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
                  Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

I wish I had a friend with scales...
                  You do, just a long drive to borrow them...
                  I suspect my car habit would be a lot more expensive if I lived any closer!

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                    the latest irritant in my state is they're removing the abandoned scales - there were 2 scales that were no longer used where you could simply drive your car across to weigh it... no longer.... ah well, we don't have smog testing anymore so I guess I'll take the trade

Comment

Working...
                    X