No announcement yet.

Chrysler Starters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll see when I get the new ignition switch tomorrow. I think once the starter solenoid is activated it returns with the spring tension after the voltage is removed but 3 volts might be enough to counteract the spring. Maybe??

Comment

Originally posted by kolsen911 View Post
      I'll see when I get the new ignition switch tomorrow. I think once the starter solenoid is activated it returns with the spring tension after the voltage is removed but 3 volts might be enough to counteract the spring. Maybe??
      I would just say maybe since it is staying engaged. I just figured if you were just throwing the 3 volts at it to try to get it to engage, I doubt that it would.

The only other thing that is even coming to mind is alignment keeping the gear pulled out and causing the voltage to back feed. You know what I mean? it engages so tight the flywheel, flexplate does not let the gear go?

Comment

One derby car when I was fighting for first I kept the throttle down while starting. It exploded the brushes. Copper bits all over inside
        I had a car running that was stuck on me and could not feel when mine took off .. Excuse...

Comment

Well persistence pays off. As I said I started by rebuilding the starter/solenoid. Then working back thru the Mopar remote relay to the ignition switch replacing them all. I checked each individual wire for continuity. I had the starter/soleniod checked twice at Napa.

I finally took it back to Napa and told him there was no electrical issue. I told him I though there was some mechanical issue with the starter that wouldn't let it retract when the power was interrupted and the problem didn't show up on his test bench.

Well they sent it up to Portland to some shop. They took the solenoid and moved it back about 1/2" on the starter case and low and behold it WORKS!!!!!!!

Of course now the summer is over in Oregon (the rain has started) and my only convertible has been on my 4 post lift all summer, grrrrrr!!

Comment

Well here's the final fix. Sent it back to Napa who sent it to a shop in Portland. They moved the solenoid back 1/2" and that was the key. Now it works just fine. Remember this is a big Hemi squeezed into a Corvette chassis so the starter was something they found on the shelf that just barely fit. Who'd a thunk it??

Comment

Too simple yet complicated..
              Glad it is ready for 2020...

Comment

Glad that you found the fix. There always IS one!

Dan

Comment

Zinc, look at first post...

Comment

Working...
                  X