TH350: leak got bad, found it, HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TH350: leak got bad, found it, HELP!

So I finally crawl under the truck attempting to stop the tranny drip......

Turns out its seeping from the kickdown port, right where the cable is bolted down onto the tranny. The bolt seems loose.

I pull out the bolt, thinking I'll just clean it off and tighten it back down.

Only thing is, there's slivers of aluminum on the bolt threads.... stripped. *&^%$#@!!!!!

Can I just put 'The Right Stuff' RTV under the kickdown cable plastic clamp, loctite on the threads, and put it back on?

Or AM I SCREWED?

Re: TH350: leak got bad, found it, HELP!

Did they use metric threads on the later ones? I think so...been a while...

There were also two different types of cables, early ones used an O ring, later ones used a sleeve seal.

And the cable itself can leak, where the plastic bottom piece connects to the end of the cable housing.

might make sure exactly where it's leaking, before you make it even more difficult to work on
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Re: TH350: leak got bad, found it, HELP!

Sometimes when a thread is stripped you can take a stud and screw it in with some locktite until it bottoms out. Chances are the threads are not stripped all the way to the bottom of the hole -- maybe there are enough threads left to hold a stud. Then just throw a nut and washer on it to hold it down. That detent cable does not need much tension on the bolt, it is sealed by an o-ring.

Tranny dipstick might be leaking too. Its right next to the detent cable.

Comment

Working...
      X