rear brake pads (truck 11 inch)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear brake pads (truck 11 inch)

been a long time.. i am hearing a scratch noise I have only heard twice in 700 million miles.

my back brake pads are finally worn.

I have new drums already on, and saw the pads were old when I swapped.
    in the cart I have
    hardware kit

and now I am wondering on opinions for pads.
    any brake pad you want... what would you get?
    I made a bee line to heavy duty at rock auto
    Centric brand is all they got in that section.

I remember wanting riveted metallic back in the day for shear strength. any bumpy road n bonded and away they went falling apart.
    not to mention maine cools to 36 below on any given summer day.
    ..and I know they are good if the cali warning that "everything dies because the brakes work" warning.
    Anything I am forgetting?
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

I like cheapest, softest pads you can find, sure they wear faster, but all things considered since I usually check wheel bearings once a year anyway, I think the extra gripiness is worth the extra wear.

Comment

Performance Friction Carbon Metallic...only one I'll buy...
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
        Performance Friction Carbon Metallic...only one I'll buy...
        I don't think rockauto had those..
        I went to the bottom of the list, that is past the high performance section and got the heavy duty towing

they only had one brand...
        Centric

I am after brakes staying cool while empty, as the abs on this is genius, it keeps everything quite snug and perky.

your big you tube following with self announcements of "all gmt400 brakes are soft" leaves me shaking my head every time. you know who you are.
        and If I see a modern full rotr'd half ton with a load on.. I'll hang back for a reason.

it even knows when density changes.. on DOT 3 synthetic now.
        In my locale, I have seen these locked up tighter than a drum in the middle of winter.
        mine has been "lucky." Not really my thought, I am an aging guru I guess.

I also got the better version of hardware kit by Raybestos Color coded springs..
        I have new wheel cylinders for no reason.. but may as well swap those in. the stainless line connections are fresh.
        so now I am wagner, bendix, raybestos, centric and prebent stainless...with dot 3 synthetic for the cold more than the heat.
        My delco drums are sitting new in the box. The bendix were purchased at the same time (I bought twice in the same day for weird reasons - ended up with 2 pair of new drums)

Click image for larger version

Name:	91HKEMxJ2rL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	1249887
        A tip I remember a long time ago.. if it looks glazed in the metal as new.. those are the towing brakes.
        Not sure if true.. might be.
        That is the same color the material takes on after some years.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 16, 2019, 09:08 PM.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

I always stayed away from the rivets since they would always destroy my brake drums. Never had one delaminate and adhesives are just better now.

All ceramic really does is reduce the brake dust from sticking to your rims. If you dont do the proper brake in procedure you get alot of fade, but being in the back its hard to notice.

Comment

Those Centrics look good to me....
            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Going thru dad's truck/logging shop that had family stuff packed into it when we moved to town for school/work and there were several boxes of log truck pads and the rivets. Got moved into another box and repacked.

Comment

I still recall when we used calipers to measure the size of the drum, then setting the shoe grinder to match and grinding the shoes for a perfect fit ...
                Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                  Those Centrics look good to me....
                  I think so too.
                  got some real sticky brakes sometimes. The better I made them... I knew the day was coming.
                  I needed the old fashioned glaze and faders.

a hardness is missing for the weight, even empty.
                  I think I made a monster..
                  p-rated tires impossible since welds of the back end in my first summer.

I like the gains..density really is weight in the long run.
                  weird thing to learn.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 17, 2019, 07:24 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                  X