green pads (ebc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• green pads (ebc)

I don't often recommend - but wow. My wife's Jeep - the stock pads didn't last 30k miles. I thought it was an issue with the stability control so I bought better pads - EBC. It has 110k miles on it now - pads are at 50% and according to my wife it stops better then it ever did before....

rare to get longevity and better braking..... not cheap, but worth it IMO

what's kind of funny is since the last pads ate so quickly, I bought a second set of EBC pads for when it needs it again.... not sure I'll ever use them.....
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 18, 2019, 09:55 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    I don't often recommend - but wow. My wife's Jeep - the stock pads didn't last 30k miles. I thought it was an issue with the stability control so I bought better pads - EBC. It has 110k miles on it now - pads are at 50% and according to my wife it stops better then it ever did before....

rare to get longevity and better braking..... not cheap, but worth it IMO

what's kind of funny is since the last pads ate so quickly, I bought a second set of EBC pads for when it needs it again.... not sure I'll ever use them.....
    I just went through this with my truck.
    todays trucks and the 4x4.. you could end up with the soft performance pads. Really stupid. Should not even be an option in the half ton and beyond list.

I got tow brakes getting delivered today, will have them in by evening.
    I expect a glaze on old truck brakes... call me old school.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 20, 2019, 10:26 AM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Given they are a long wearing are the good in not giving off much dust?
      Tim
      Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
        Given they are a long wearing are the good in not giving off much dust?
        there is some dust, but it's not terrible.

Comment

It really turns out to can you just replace the pads, or are you buying a pad that will destroy the rotors so every brake job includes new rotors too.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
            It really turns out to can you just replace the pads, or are you buying a pad that will destroy the rotors so every brake job includes new rotors too.
            you would think so, but compared the swill on the stock Jeep JK, that wasn't my experience. I had to replace the rotors when I put the EBC pads on*. With that said, it's almost a wash to simply buy new rotors when I replace pads because having the rotors turned costs about the same dollars as new (YMMV). There will be a postscript on this - my Colorado pads are noisy so I'm going to replace all of them with EBC and slotted rotors (on modern 4x4s, stability control will ruin your rotors if you wheel a lot - so heat management is a lot more important then you might think).

*I'm still wrapping my head around this concept - I'm the same person who preaches using cheaper pads on the front of a converted to 4 wheel disk vehicle to help balance the system....
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 29, 2019, 06:44 AM.

Comment

I just go back to 1982, auto shop with Mr Gawlik and Mr Tomasetti beating it in our heads to never use a riveted brake shoe or metallic pads.I dont think either of them ever changed brake drums or rotors on his cars. I would think that maybe we have not had the multitude of imported parts. That is the first thing you need to notice, there is a brakemotive that sells clean rotors with a black paint on the hubs, or power stop and centric that sell the zinc coating on the rotors as a performance advantage. All that does is gets them here on the boat without rusting.

Comment

My rotors are normally warped and hard cracks in them I almost always replace the rotors.

You sure you didn't tell her you put green stuff pads on and in attempts to not have green wheels she is taking it easier on the brakes? (This is a poor attempt at making a joke )
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                  My rotors are normally warped and hard cracks in them I almost always replace the rotors.

You sure you didn't tell her you put green stuff pads on and in attempts to not have green wheels she is taking it easier on the brakes? (This is a poor attempt at making a joke )
                  y'all can diss on my wife, but my wife came with 2 vehicles: A smart car and a Prius, she has a JK Jeep and her backup car is a Suburban - I've done my part in saving the environment, what have all you jokers done?

though yeah, green pad, funnyish... many cars now have hill assist which can be murder on pads - but even there, I turned it off initially, but she wanted it back on - so it's an apple/apple comparison...

oh, and in the saving the environment - I told my wife when I put seat heaters in her Prius that it would hurt her mileage. 6 months later she proudly reported to me that she had watched her economy and it remained the same.... yeah, that had some blowback but WORTHIT!!!!!!
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 29, 2019, 06:05 PM.

Comment

When I met mine she had a Nissan with a cvt. Thought it was the best thing ever. Since she has owned two trucks with 5 speeds a now DDs a suburban and every once in a while will say something about wishing the suburban had a 5 speed..
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                      When I met mine she had a Nissan with a cvt. Thought it was the best thing ever. Since she has owned two trucks with 5 speeds a now DDs a suburban and every once in a while will say something about wishing the suburban had a 5 speed..
                      easy to do, only takes time and money ;)

Comment

Working...
                      X