Sandblasting with Slag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandblasting with Slag

Just changed my blast cabinet over to Black Diamond Coal Slag. Used sand in it for years, quickly discovered that the slag needed more air than the sand. And it has no trouble being picked up into the siphon tube, but does not want to leave the gun as readily.

That said, it shows promise. When it flows it seems to abrade rust quicker than the sand.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

I've tried something called "black beauty" coal slag - I think it is available in different grits / grain sizes. The stuff I tried was course compared to sand. Better for aggressive rust removal on steel -- a bit too aggressive for aluminum. Have you tried glass beads? They tend to leave the nicest finish IMHO.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I'm still using the used stuff that came with my cabinet. The "new" hasn't worn off yet (I'm still thrilled to get junk off metal any ol' way) so I haven't tried any alternatives. Watching this space.....

Dan

Comment

crazy old guy across the way used to swear by the leftovers from the brake lathe....

Comment

I have used it for years. Different grades for cheap........it works.
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

the guy who blasted my Buick starts with slag, then goes to sand then green sand for the finish blast.... his advice is use what you need for the surface because they all have benefits and detriments
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
              Just changed my blast cabinet over to Black Diamond Coal Slag. Used sand in it for years, quickly discovered that the slag needed more air than the sand. And it has no trouble being picked up into the siphon tube, but does not want to leave the gun as readily.

That said, it shows promise. When it flows it seems to abrade rust quicker than the sand.
              If you dont have a carbide nozzle, you will have to see if you can get one for your gun with black beauty. Yeah, thats how much better it is for general derusting. And I do use it on aluminum, as long as its heavier than an eighth inch its fine. Mostly I am blasting powdercoat off of aluminum production parts..

Comment

What pressures is everyone using?

Comment

as much as I have usually start around 100 and compressor keeps up around 80 after while. I start with the bigger 12/20 so it breaks down and becomes the 20/40 size. There is still dust but not as much as sand or glass.

Comment

I usually use Visa, because it's better for high pressure situations....
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I actually removed the rear baffled port cover for an hour. While a handful of slag escaped, there was no noticeable dust. Replaced the port cover.

And I am a huge believer in Visa for the big stuff. Or a significant pile of small stuff. I like my local guy and enjoy visiting him and helping keep him in business.

That said an hour or two with the blast cabinet can be strangely therapeutic.
                      Last edited by STINEY; September 1, 2019, 05:47 PM.

Comment

I guess you found the magic pressure.......
                        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Not really. I topped out my regulator at 100psi and it was still improving. Will have to revamp the whole setup as my water trap is hard plumbed to the regulator.

I got the mounts cleaned up but it was not a quick thing, lol.
                          Last edited by STINEY; September 2, 2019, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Is VISA a material or are you saying pay someone else to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
                              Is VISA a material or are you saying pay someone else to do it?
                              I'm thinking they meant the latter. I call it using the phone as in "I mowed the lawn today using the phone." Sometimes it makes sense to buy the equipment and do jobs yourself and sometimes it makes sense to save buying the equipment and simply farm out the project. I do more farming out as I age!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X