Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy G Series Van AC Issue

Hey all, I need some help!

The AC in the !994 Chevy G20 Conversion van worked amazing until one day, it didn't

So, here is what I know

1. There is power getting to the pressure switch
    2. There is NO power getting to the compressor
    3. If I jump the compressor the clutch will engage and the system will work

I suspect there is a relay somewhere, the parts catalogs say there is BUT, the Chilton manual does not have any AC info in it except "take it to a certified blah blah blah"

I cannot find a relay ANYWHERE. I removed the dash, and dog house and found nothing.
    I've been all over the net but there just is not a lot of data on the G series, only the later Express vans.

If any of you fine gentlemen can point me in a direction, I sure would appreciate it!

Thanks,

Joe
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

It has a cycling compressor system--the pressure switch controls the compressor, when the pressure in the system drops below a specific value, the compressor shuts off.

When you jump the wires that go to the pressure switch together, what happens?

Normally when the compressor doesn't run but it will run if you jump the wires to the pressure switch, it means the system lost refrigerant, and you need to fix the leak and recharge it.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

this happens on my 90's Jimmy. The connector I need to jump to make the compressor stay on is the plug on the aluminum drier tank, thats pull the connector, use a paper clip or solid wire in the contacts and see if the compressor will run.

I bought this black plastic box off ebay that was supposed to keep the short cycling from happening, but when I pulled the connectors, got the system running, charged it, I found my condenser was the part that was leaking and decided to not replace it.

Comment

When I jump the pressure switch, nothing happens. It doesn’t send power to the compressor.
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I don't suppose you've found a wiring diagram for it? It's possible they have some funky computerized control stuff on those new ones....my experience ends a few years before that was built.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

No, I can’t find anything about this thing online. The only schematic I can find is for the chassis. There is a high pressure switch on the back of the compressor. I’m going to jumper it later and see if I get power. My co worker has all the equipment so we’re going to put gauges on it tomorrow to see what the pressures are. I’ll report back with any findings

Comment

Back in the 70's there was a relay on the ass end of a wiring harness that usually terminated under a fender, they would just sit there. I have a book for my 03 express, I will see how far that goes back.

Comment

Working...
              X