HELP! w/ electric fuel pump...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! w/ electric fuel pump...

Please help with some ideas on how to correct...

When I flip the switch, sometimes the electric fuel pump will turn on and run for 30 seconds or so. But more often, when I flip the switch, I get nothing. It's a Holley Blue pump.

I previously had this problem and replaced the pump. The new pump ran fine for about a 30 minute cruise, then simply quit running. Had to have the car towed home where it's been sitting for two months. Last night, I flip the switch and the pump came on then quit after about 30 seconds. Tried it again, and got zip.

Battery is fully charged and the motor will turn over... so I'm getting electrical power. What would cause the pump to intermittently operate? Any ideas? ???
    Nitrous, baby!!...

Re: HELP! w/ electric fuel pump...

Is there a filter before the pump? if not, a piece of crap can jam it easily.

How is the wiring? is it some random little wire, connected at the ends by twisting? or is it a nice heavy wire (12 gage or so) with good crimped/soldered connections? How is the fuse situation, does it use an original factory fuse in the circuit somewhere? old GM fuseblocks are flaky
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

It has a filter between the cell and pump. Would a small piece of debris literally stop the pump? Because it works intermittently.

The connections are all crimped with adequate size wiring. I checked the wiring and it all looks ok.

The car still has the original fuse block. I checked the fuses too, and they're ok. Is it possible that a fuse would work intermittently?
      Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Take a test light or volt meter and see if your getting power to the pump. If you have power at the pump and the pump doesn't run, then the pump is bad.

Comment

I've seen those fuse blocks make intermittent contact....definitely get voltmeter or at least a test light on it, see what the voltage at the pump is when it's not running (or how dim the light is)
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by jcharliem
            The connections are all crimped with adequate size wiring. I checked the wiring and it all looks ok.

?
            WITH A TEST LIGHT OR MULTI METER..??????????????
            you are running a relay right?

Comment

if relay (and there sould be one)
              check for an open.. it might come and go..
              when it stops.. look for power in but none out..
              also .. wiggle the crimps.. they are known to loose'n up over time..
              solder is your friend..

Comment

Guys, thanks for the comments/feedback. I head to NYC tonight. When I get back home, I'll check out the things you suggested - and let you know. Thanks!
                Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

had the same problem with a holley red pump. rewired it with 12 gauge to all connections to relay. new fuel tank , filter before and after pump. still same problem. took it out and replaced with a carter and have had no problems, and it is a lot quiter.

Comment

never had any problems with a red pump -heck - never ran it off a relay
                    when I upgraded to bg 400 , I gave richie the red pump , he ran it another 15 years

Comment

Working...
                    X