Weird Big Block water pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Big Block water pump?

What is this thing? Doesn't look like any Big Block Chevy water pump I have ever seen. Is it an oddball heavy truck setup?

No history is known, helping a friend clean out his Dad's storage area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	o94xODm.jpg
Views:	1063
Size:	594.1 KB
ID:	1253536
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

I believe that your suspicions are correct....uncle had a 366 with that setup IIRC....
    Last edited by silver_bullet; October 12, 2019, 04:26 AM.
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

that's a set up for a large truck (2 1/2 ton, etc).... it moves the fan up so they could put a larger fan on the motor..... if you're really unlucky that's a 366 BBC..... only good for anchors and not really good for that either...
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 11, 2019, 09:49 PM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

notice the double thermostat, fun front mount under the water pump, 4 groove lower pulley, tall deck, etc. 366 or 427 medium duty truck motor. Run the numbers see what size it is.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

suspect it's a 454... 366 and 427 didn't come with HEI or blue for that matter...
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 11, 2019, 10:10 PM.

Comment

they made them into the 90s, they came with HEI and blue paint. It's a tall deck engine, the intake shows that.

random internet pic of another blue HEI equipped 366
            Click image for larger version

Name:	366-2.JPG
Views:	1600
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	1253554
            My fabulous web page

Comment

It’s home (or at least into the truck bed, and the truck is home, so there is that).

Removed water pump, SAE bellhousing adapter, lower front cradle mount, misc cut hoses and idle bump solenoid assembly. Scraped crud but it got too dark for finding numbers.

Came with the complete accessory drive, actually two of most of it. There are two air compressors in very good condition, they really pop when turned by hand. Anyone interested, lol?

Comment

as in air-brake air compressors?

Comment

I would expect them to be air brake compressors. Or, air bag compressors, if you build a trendy car hauler with bags
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    as in air-brake air compressors?
                    That’s my assumption. Twin piston pumps, with mounting brackets. Two different manufacturers but same mount bracket. They really move air for their size.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

That’s my assumption. Twin piston pumps, with mounting brackets. Two different manufacturers but same mount bracket. They really move air for their size.
                      Small tank, 5 hp gas motor, got a pretty strong portable pump...

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

I suspect the bracket is worth more then the compressor but I'd be interested... I've been using an AC compressor on my '40 for tire inflation but using a truck compressor would be better on several levels.... I also need to add it to my 'burb - so there's that...

Comment

that's a set up for a large truck (2 1/2 ton, etc).... it moves the fan up so they could put a larger fan on the motor..... if you're really unlucky that's a 366 BBC..... only good for anchors and not really good for that either...
                          Wouldn't it be for them centering the fan in the larger trucks engine heat exchanger, Don't those trucks have a massive one?
                          I most likely wrong, but I'd think they want the fan centered without having to have the engine on stilts and the driveline angle issues that come with that.

Comment

I suspect the bracket is worth more then the compressor but I'd be interested... I've been using an AC compressor on my '40 for tire inflation but using a truck compressor would be better on several levels.... I also need to add it to my 'burb - so there's that...
                            They would be awesome for that. They are all yours if you want to pay shipping on them, ship Greyhound? Will text pictures to you.

I too wondered if the offset water pump/fan is for engine bay logistics. The fan on this is impressive - seven blade solid center - must really whoosh under full song.
                            Last edited by STINEY; October 16, 2019, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Is there a plan for this BBC or is it going in the just incase pile.
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X