Weird Big Block water pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

They would be awesome for that. They are all yours if you want to pay shipping on them, ship Greyhound? Will text pictures to you.

I too wondered if the offset water pump/fan is for engine bay logistics. The fan on this is impressive - seven blade solid center - must really whoosh under full song.
    full song being 2000 rpm

I think the compressor is too large for me to use....
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ts0hra1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	420.5 KB ID:	1253905They are pretty big. Those pictures are on a full-size '90s chevy tailgate, they filled it up.
      Last edited by STINEY; October 18, 2019, 10:44 AM.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
        Is there a plan for this BBC or is it going in the just incase pile.
        No plan originally. I have never had a BBC in my grimey paws, and for the money I couldn't pass up the opportunity to pick at it some.

I am having thoughts of installing it in the Jeep Gladiator in place of the 250 I6 in there currently. Grunt and Gearing, what could go wrong?

Comment

With the oddball water pump removed. Note the twin thermostats. Also note the line taking oil from a galley and routing it somewhere external?

Click image for larger version  Name:	TJLOkVn.jpg Views:	1 Size:	261.2 KB ID:	1253909

Also note a factory return fitting on the drivers side of the oil pan.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fb4URNn.jpg Views:	1 Size:	409.8 KB ID:	1253910

Nothing much odd here but the oil pressure sender down low by the oil filter boss.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ASPTcsn.jpg Views:	1 Size:	309.6 KB ID:	1253911

Click image for larger version  Name:	GFe3D3G.jpg Views:	1 Size:	245.3 KB ID:	1253912

There is LARGE crack on the driver side exhaust manifold. Its in the white-ish area directly between the center two cylinders.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PMNaUIH.jpg Views:	1 Size:	273.5 KB ID:	1253913

Jegs has these engine stand / carts for $30. How can you pass that up? Perfect for an engine with no purpose.

Click image for larger version  Name:	xmzw6u5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	294.6 KB ID:	1253914

Last edited by STINEY; October 18, 2019, 11:15 AM.

Comment

It has been suggested that this is the feed line for an oil cooler. Without a better guess, I suppose its possible, but it just seems unlikely to me. This and the return on the pan are still a mystery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	xnNE6Wy.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	1253916

Name:	fb4URNn.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	1253917

Comment

This coolant heater fitting is going to require heat to get to budge. Wow is it tight. Two guys with breaker bar and a cheater to hold the engine were sliding around on the floor trying to get it loose.

Click image for larger version  Name:	XSA9voO.jpg Views:	1 Size:	302.2 KB ID:	1253919
              Last edited by STINEY; October 18, 2019, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Speaking of heaters, of course a heavy truck or bus would have a block heater for its old gasser powerplant.

Name:	ADySvG5.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	1253921

Comment

And lastly, one oddball Holley Carb. I assume the "extra" stuff is governor related? Though I don't recall governors having a cable control on them. Maybe hand throttle for a dump truck PTO?

Name:	Uxethb4.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	1253924
                  Last edited by STINEY; October 18, 2019, 11:09 AM.

Comment

the oil line up front and return line are for the air compressor.

The oil sender is right where it belongs, that's where the fitting is on a big block. That's also where the oil cooler would be plumbed in, look for another 3/8" or 1/2"(?) pipe plug

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

the cable might be for the choke? follow the mechanism. Yeah, the rest is governor.
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

Can the governor part be removed and the carb still be functional? Probably more effort than its worth, but this IS a learning experience after all.....

I found this info in a short thread on governed Holleys. Says the Gov controls the idle and no mixture screws for that. https://forums.holley.com/showthread...ae6e0678e444de

Also this seems to point to me having a 4150G or 4150 EG Holley. https://carbkitsource.com/tech/Holley/modular.html

( I never thought of a factory manual choke on a late 70's/early 80's engine - but yeah, looking at it again that's most likely a choke connection. Thanks!)
                        Last edited by STINEY; October 18, 2019, 12:43 PM.

Comment

I think if you hold the butterflies closed, the linkage will move if it is not gummed up..
                          Took a Holley off a Dump truck.. Pleased as punch untill Gary flipped it, held butterfly closed and the linkage moved.

Comment

That sounds about right. You (linkage) ask the carb for more throttle, and the governor decides if you get it or not.

Kind of like todays drive-by-wire cars.

Comment

kind of like my lawnmower
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

The oil fitting on the pan is clearly for the turbo you're going to add!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X