Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Barlow
    replied
    My case broke on my 4L60E which is the computerized version of the 700R4 so then I stuck a another one in . All was fine for awhile then if I 40 mph it will start losing the higher gears . So I just use surface streets going to work while I look for and NV 4500 . Yeah it's a suburban with 35s on it . Had caprices and da Trans Am with 700R4s . They all eventually failed . Put a manual 5 or 6 speed in it .

Leave a comment:

• anotheridiot
    replied
    What Mad dog told me was the TV cable was improperly adjusted. Return it for a rebuild. We decided to do it ourselves and pistons were all cocked in their bores when they were installed and the snap ring put on. They never had a chance to move.
    Rebuilt it ourselves and it worked ok, but dicking with that governer to get the shift point right, constantly changing TV cables, three different stall converters, we put a muncie in.Now we are shopping for 5 or 6 speeds.

Leave a comment:

• fatguyzinc
    replied
    Originally posted by 69 Custom "S" View Post
    I'm hoping I will be told it's a simple low cost fix...…….
    no such thing anytime the words 'transmission failed' are used in the same sentence.
    one of my A.S.E certs is auto trans overhaul, in my personal and professional opinion
    the 700R4 is the about the worst transmission ever made. weak (260ft/lb capacity), bad
    powerflow (theres an internal GM service bulletin to tell customers not to cruise at high
    speed in o/d for extended periods of time...REALLY?!?!?!! in an overdrive transmission!?!!?)

and for every dude that tells you how their car has gone on ten years with 800hp
    and a 700R4 with no problems, theres a hundred guys with crapped out transmissions.

ditch it. run a th350, th400, or if you must use an o/d trans, a 200-4R. any of those should last
    a long long time if built properly.

I will never ever run a 700R4 in any vehicle I own, seen too many fail.
    again, my opinion--and you know what they say about that.... good luck.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I got nothin' but hopefully some of the guys will have ideas. I mean, I have IDEAS but they're all bad ones.....

Dan

Leave a comment:

• 69 Custom "S"
    started a topic my 700r4 trouble

my 700r4 trouble

I have a 700r4 in my 69 Pontiac now going on 7-years a whopping 10K-12K miles and the trans has failed. I have first gear and reverse but nothing else. When I accelerate the engine has the power but i'm going nowhere, 20 mph. I did replace the governor and same issues. I'm hoping I will be told it's a simple low cost fix or do you all think a total rebuild? I would have thought this trans would have lasted a lot longer than it did. Got it from Maddog trans. They said they can rebuild for $1400.00 plus I would have to pay shipping....so like $2000.00 after all is said and done. Anybody have thoughts??
    Thanks Jim
Working...
X