New tool!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tool!

well, I decided that since I paid my truck off, it was time to acquire a new tool as a present, I think this little... er... big guy should come in handy!

I had wanted a 3d printer for years, but never found one that met my desires that wasn't ridiculously expensive. the build area on this thing is huge! 28"x13"x15" I figure that's big enough to prototype an intake manifold if I wanted (I do...) Lead time on the machine is supposed to be 3 weeks, I'm hoping it's alot faster than that, but I'll just have to wait and see.
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
    1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
    2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

nice!
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Sweet . I think building a low rise two 4 barrel intake for the 92 to 96 LT1 motor would be cool . In spite of this engine never being made with and carburetor ( or a TBI old style efi ) or traditional distributor . The cam does have the gears to drive one . At this point you can either run the factory efi or GM has a single 4 barrel intake you can put on it with the hole for a distributor.
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

amazing tool. I do work for a company who's parent is Moog aviation, and they are pushing printed parts for their aircraft jobs. We got some stainless handles to paint, they were 380.00 each, Ended up being too heavy, so they went to mc master and got some for 11.00. The buildings that those metal print shops are in are enormous, and make you think of rooms computers used to be in. amazing alien technology.

Comment

that's an interesting design. I hope it's not too flimsy

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by ejs262 View Post
            well, I decided that since I paid my truck off, it was time to acquire a new tool as a present, I think this little... er... big guy should come in handy!

I had wanted a 3d printer for years, but never found one that met my desires that wasn't ridiculously expensive. the build area on this thing is huge! 28"x13"x15" I figure that's big enough to prototype an intake manifold if I wanted (I do...) Lead time on the machine is supposed to be 3 weeks, I'm hoping it's alot faster than that, but I'll just have to wait and see.
            always wanted to try 3d printing. my 8 yr old is doing it his science class at school....

Comment

Originally posted by FINNEGAN View Post

always wanted to try 3d printing. my 8 yr old is doing it his science class at school....
              sweet, he can teach us all how to do it.... I never intended to get old.
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by FINNEGAN View Post

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on it, I hope to learn the ropes fast so I can start making some cool stuff. I really wish this kinda stuff was available when I was 8... lol

This is more of an educational project for my ATM, but I plan to use it to develop molds for parts that I can then cast out of aluminum using the furnace I built a few years ago.

the above model is for an ITB base setup for the R07 heads I have, but the design will probably get canned, as I want to make it fit under a regular hood, which will require the runners to maintain a lower approach angle to the heads, and maybe some crafty port shaping.
                Last edited by ejs262; November 19, 2019, 10:20 PM.
                "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

STAY AWAY FROM FOLGER TECHNOLOGIES.

I purchased this printer in November, and was very excited

6 weeks later and after several emails and attempts to contact via phone, it finally ships. Their website said 3 weeks.

I get it opened up, and start assembly, and can't even complete the first step in the instructions do to them sending the wrong parts, and upon inspection found several parts were missing, there's also no packing list anywhere, so it's not easy to inventory and determine what you do or don't have.

several emails, more phone attempts, and nothing. finally after posting on their facebook page, I'm able to get a response, and am told my emails were going to the wrong folder and the missing/incorrect parts would get shipped.

after about a week they show up, and I can continue assembly, just to figure out I'm missing a handful of hardware, and half the wiring... more emails, more phone attempts, more facebook messaging, nothing. I can typically hold back from bashing a company, but F*&K those guys. their attention to detail and customer service grade is a straight F-, a zero. at this point, I've bought the stuff I need out of my own pocket to make it work, but I definitely shouldn't have needed to. if I felt there was more than a snowball's chance in hell that I would get my money back, I'd mail this heap of parts back to them.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

Man , sorry to here this .
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Keep raising hell. That's a lot of cash to be jerking you around with a shoddy product and support. I've been running an Ender 5 for a few months now for similar reasons. While I learned CAD I wanted to be able to print the stuff out for test fits. Eventually use it to make parts/prototypes and other random junk.

Comment

Working...
                      X