1970 Mustang Coupe Replacement Roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970 Mustang Coupe Replacement Roof

A friend has just imported a 1970 Mustang Coupe sight unseen.It's a clean car but under the vinyl roof it is a horror story.
    Online I can find an overdose of fastback replacement roofs but no coupes.
    Anyone know any sources, roof, sail panels and rear window. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20191027-WA0006.jpg
Views:	1040
Size:	544.5 KB
ID:	1255098Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20191027-WA0004.jpg
Views:	1922
Size:	552.0 KB
ID:	1255099Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20191027-WA0001.jpg
Views:	859
Size:	501.5 KB
ID:	1255100

Cannot count the thousands of cloth topped roofs that were powder! Dumbest idea ever!

Comment

The one I have seen the most is CJPONY parts. I would see what others are doing, most probably making it work, but they might say a later year might fit better.

We got the entire roof for the Chevelle and there is a ton of fitting anyway, both corner windows have to be split and fit, as well as the extra they give you along the sides.

Comment

Malc: From the brief bit of recon I did, I found no hits for 69-70 coupe roof, but looking at it, I'd be surprised if any of the upper structure under the roof skin is any good anyways, so looks like you're going to need to find a wrecker in AZ (or some place DRY at least), and have them cut you off the entire roof, sail panels etc.

But, I did see one vendor selling all the required new bits to convert a coupe to a fastback, but make sure you're sitting down when you see the price!!

Coupe to Fastback Sheet Metal Structural Conversion Kit for a 1970 Mustang This is a structural sheet metal kit to convert a Mustang coupe body to the look of a Fastback. It includes the major exter

AMD does not list a roof, fastback or coupe
        Hoods, Fenders, Doors, Bedsides, Quarter Panels and more for you Chevy GMC Truck, Camaro, Chevelle, Dodge Charger, Plymouth Barracuda and more.

Dynacorn only lists Fastback roof

CARID only lists Fastback roof
        https://www.carid.com/1970-ford-must...er=1&sub-model[ourSubModelName][]=Base

CJ's only lists Fastback roof

Comment

Found a roof and sail panels at stang-aholics but for a 66.
          I'll get the 'stang owner to contact them.
          Thanks appreciate it.

Comment

Time to brace the floor/unitbody and make it a drop top.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              Cannot count the thousands of cloth topped roofs that were powder! Dumbest idea ever!
              But, was it?
              It was an option folks likes back then.
              I think the lack of painting under the vinyl covered part is where the problem is.
              Would vehicles painted in the old lacquer paint still cracked /checked from age even under the top.?
              I have no clue if that type paint would not crack under the vinyl. but the vehicles I've seen that had those type vinyl roofs, had no paint under them other than the very edges.

Comment

Had a 71 Camaro that I stripped the vinyl top off of . It had paint under the glue . It also had a little surface rust in a few spots .
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I like the convert it to a convertible idea. Would that cause registration problems?
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                    I like the convert it to a convertible idea. Would that cause registration problems?
                    More than likely as every privately imported car has to be inspected by an official engineer.
                    Everything is documented length, height, wheels and tires etc.

A friend of mine has had to etch the VIN into his Corvette´s chassis, where America puts it is not good enough.
                    I stamped mine on the strut tower.

Comment

Working...
                    X