Independent Rear Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Independent Rear Suspension

Getting a bug to redo the rear axle on the camaro. Seems like we are spending money for a different gear and posi unit, but we really want to lose the leaf springs and do a 4 link with coil overs. But searching around, I see that 84-87 corvette rear ends are about the right width, and there is one close by for about 150 less than its gonna cost me for the gear and posi, before hacking up a good rear end to do the 4 links.

does anyone know any sources to see sizes and widths of possibly newer suspensions? I saw a few forums claiming that anything up to the C4 is junk, and go crazy with the C5 stuff. I see a lot of late model stuff on sites like offer up and let go, but dont want too big of a can of worms, or needing to get `18" rims to have brake space either.

Just looking for any knowledge, because once we get good at something, we want to do it different.

they switched to a transaxle somewhere along the way, perhaps 1998?

Vettes are kind of wide....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I'd stick with a solid axle(9") and a 4 link...
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Just remembered this: http://hotrodstohell.net/truckarm/tr...y_truckarm.htm
        looks quite intriguing... they do the suspension on Farm Truck of Street Outlaws fame...
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          they switched to a transaxle somewhere along the way, perhaps 1998?

Vettes are kind of wide....
          yeah, I think it was the C5, the one everyone says is better. The C4 Dana 36 full suspension for the rear is going for about 4-500 around me. Getting to the Dana 44 which would be the desired one for the manual trans, its up to 1000-1400. These are full suspensions, most have the frames attached where they were cut off if they could not remove the bolts. Thats everything including the two driveshafts you would think of as axles, hubs, complete brakes. I think it was more than 400 for the disc brake kit, let alone axles and gear.

Just seems like a way to fit the batwing top mounts to the frame rail. Shock mounts and where to put the sway bar until you start replacing the worn out parts. I am guessing if you were doing a rat rod, a front and rear full setup can be had for 700. Put some rails on top and mount your body.

Guess the Rhodes race cars fabricated 9" housing is the cheapest way to go at 214 shipped. Probably be in it at least 2 grand by the time the rest is purchased, including coil overs.

Comment

Cool, Idea if you can keep the wheel dish, sorry, newer vehicles with the lack of wheel dish don't look right.
            The retro cars models look odd without it. The flat platters MEH. all to bow to the areo gods/mpg crap.
            What can the c-4 rear set up take in power before you are spending huge money to beef it up.?
            Never seen one over here.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
              Cool, Idea if you can keep the wheel dish, sorry, newer vehicles with the lack of wheel dish don't look right.
              The retro cars models look odd without it. The flat platters MEH. all to bow to the areo gods/mpg crap.
              What can the c-4 rear set up take in power before you are spending huge money to beef it up.?
              Never seen one over here.
              So far I have heard the 36 were on the overdrive automatics for a reason (most have a 2.59 gear). Dana 44 were on the stick cars with the 3 something gears.

Either way, its still a complete rear end, seems too simple to make it fit, hack and box the subframe frame rails, add a bolt point, bottom will be around spring perches, but a decent 44 we are up in the 12-1500 area.

My son is looking for newer stuff, I just have stayed away from fords long enough to not want to use their parts. Found a ford 9" center section guy working out of his house now, he spent more time talking me into staying with the 10 bolt 8.5.

Comment

C3 and C4 are functionally the same... C4 adds some adjustability but you'll find putting the mounts and gaining the space needed will require complete refabrication of your trunk (and you will lose the back seat... C5 is a transaxle, but there are some who are using Ford T-bird center sections with the C5 suspension. Why go there? look at Camaro (stock, NOT SS) 2008-2012 and the newest generation - they're both built off a frame. The non-SS is basically 2" narrower then the SS suspension....

Also, companies like Art Morrison make IRS systems that use the Ford t-bird design
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Anotheridiot... We run lots of 8.5 -10 bolts in derby cars.. Have several set up with different gear ratios .. Negative with stockers are 28 spline axles altho many go aftermarket and more spline counrs. Have only broke 2 axles.. Running an easy 4-500 hp small block.. Of course slicks and more power make a difference.

Comment

My simple plan to 4 link the camaro was buying new spring perches for the front springs, fabricate the lower 4 link bars using the same bushing on the leaf spring, run a bar between the two mounts to stiffen frame.
                    Top bars off top frame rails, angled to the center. Triangulating removes the need for panhard bars. New bar between frame rail top to mount shocks.
                    Leaf springs gone, air shocks, gone. Got plenty of .125 wall 1.50 4130 to box it in.
                    Just looks too easy I guess.
                    I guess its been a bunch of years of me building my sons car, and he brought this IRS up so I wanted to explore it.

Comment

in short, copy the A-body set up...they work well except they're as prone as the Camaro to axle hop (in the stock geometry)
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The A body is what I am reworking on the 66 chevelle, all the lower frame mounts were gone, but that rear end has ears on the top that the links bolt to that changes the angle of attack to really leave little room for exhaust.

Comment

Working...
                        X