• Show
Clear All

Re: Diesel 700R4 Question

never seen it
    oh well , diesels suck anyway , my internal google wears out again

Comment

Thanks Will.

I was hoping they were upgraded or something and I was getting a super trans on the cheap.

oh well.
      Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
        could you use just 3 of the holes to bolt the converter to a normal dual pattern flexplate?

The sales brochure for my Suburban shows the 1/2 ton diesel models available with od...same with my 82 chevy truck brochure....82 shows the overdrive in both 1/2 and 3/4 ton, but 87 is only in 1/2 ton, the 3/4 got the th400

At the trans shop in 1982-83 we indentified the diesel lockup converters as having a couple tack welds on the lugs.
        From my experience, limited as it may be, the answer is no because the bolt diameter is different.... I had benchpressed on of those into a truck, got it bolted in.... then found out that little gem of information.....

Caddyman, I agree with you to a point - but if you want a cheap 700r4 and it still works, you can cheaply put on into a 300 hp or less car and it will last to its normal life expectancy (120k with normal use).... would I rebuild one? no, I'd do a 200r4 every time ... unless of course I need to build a 4x4. In short, it just depends on why and what you're using the trans for..... for most of my stuff, turbo 400s don't last more then 20,000 miles so I can't imagine a 700r4 would make it out of the driveway behind anything I'd be replacing a tranny in....
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
          for most of my stuff, turbo 400s don't last more then 20,000 miles so I can't imagine a 700r4 would make it out of the driveway behind anything I'd be replacing a tranny in....
          I can relate
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

So you're saying the aluminum headed 383 I built for my 5000 lb truck might "disagree" with this fragile old girl? :D
            Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

It might give this fragile old girl a spanking she won't soon forget
              My fabulous web page

Comment

Lot of good answers here.The 6,2 and a Sbc-BBC have the same bolt pattern,but the converter will probably not fit.As to spidey.The C10-K10 pick ups suburbans Blazers with 6,2,has got 700 trans from 82.Those trucks you have seen with 400 gear,may have suffered from a bad 700 and have been upgraded.

I have lost count on how many hours and money,i have spent on these things.700 behind a diesel,means trouble .

If the trans works right now.Use it,but find the right parts for the kick down cable.They are VERY nervous about being installed right.

700 gears,was upgraded in 87 with alot of corvette parts.I wouldnt have fixed a trans from pre87.

Comment

Originally posted by milkovich
                  So you're saying the aluminum headed 383 I built for my 5000 lb truck might "disagree" with this fragile old girl? :D
                  my K5 had a sr torquer headed 10:1 sbc
                  from towing the race car from 93-97 , it lauched 6 7004r srta units
                  I just kept warrantee-ing them - used to have a lot of power in the company
                  then my buddy bought a new GMC dually
                  and the K5 rotted into oblivion

Comment

back then , we didn't have to overhaul trannys , just install reman units
                    started having to rebuild them in 98

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                      Original k5??.No lift and big tires??

Comment

Originally posted by Blazerteam
                        hmmm... depends on the driver, but as there is guilt by association (you are, after all on BS.com) I doubt your right foot is no lighter then anyone else's here .... I've nursed cars for long periods of time that should never have made it out of my driveway... most of the time, however, it was trying to make it back to my driveway.... last time was a 700r4 in my 93 k1500 pulling a 18' 5th wheel.... made it from just south of Sacramento to Portland with 2 gears.....
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Blazerteam
                          33X10.5 tires
                          no lift , it was a superspeedway truck

Comment

;DWith enough motor,i guess it was.If it had the super highway friendly 3,08 ratio in combination with the 33 tires and the 0,70 4th gear....300mph ;D

Comment

hard to get a brick to go 300, even if you drop it from the space shuttle
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

had 3.08 , I put 4.10s in it to save the trans

Comment

Working...
                                X