No announcement yet.

Converters or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So if I add cats to the camaro so there is something to abuse then the EFI might work better?

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
      So if I add cats to the camaro so there is something to abuse then the EFI might work better?
      suffer the abuse of tuning....
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Cats need to be as close to the motor as possible, thus usually they're in the pipes coming down from the motor (which they are on my '40). Mufflers get every bit as hot as cats because the restriction builds heat... but the most important anti-fire device is the person who doesn't park in tall grass.... just sayin'

I'm using these https://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-539...79411550&psc=1

they've survived a lot of abuse - which is important when you're tuning EFI

with that said, if you got the cats with the motor, use those - only 2 of them but you can mix and match, if you use the first position ones, you get manifold adapters as well and a leak-proof seal at the exhaust.....
        This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. I have shorty headers (ground clearance & truck manifolds don't fit) and have long since sent the donors cats down the road. I'll likely pick up a pair of these and mount them as close as possible to the header collector.

Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
        74 Nova Project
        66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
        79 Chevy Truck Project
        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

These are what I added. Stainless 3.0L from Jegs. 2.5" in and 2.5" out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	iwI1nO7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	286.6 KB ID:	1259066
          Last edited by STINEY; December 30, 2019, 01:13 PM.
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	iwI1nO7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	286.6 KB ID:	1259066
            Do you have the part number for that? Thanks.
            74 Nova Project
            66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Yep. https://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/15038/10002/-1

The stainless Jegs brand clamps seem pretty good too. Have not fired engine with them on, but otherwise they pass muster.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

DynoMax is Walker which is an OEM supplier. Those ought to be excellent. They appear to be HC/CO cats loaded with (most likely) platinum (that's the wash cost on the substrate which is what makes them active). My guess is that they don't have a NoX brick in there but no one could accuse you of not trying. They probably won't do much until the engine warms but that doesn't take too long - don't be surprised if you get a little exhaust smell until they light off.

EDIT: I reread the description it says its a 3-way so it should be active for NoX as well. Probably a bit of palladium or rhodium in there, too. But probably not too much as it says it's not CA legal but CA is a PITA on what they allow.

Dan
                Last edited by DanStokes; December 31, 2019, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Guys - these are internal combustion engines - WHY would you want to get rid of their pheromones?

Comment

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. I have shorty headers (ground clearance & truck manifolds don't fit) and have long since sent the donors cats down the road. I'll likely pick up a pair of these and mount them as close as possible to the header collector.
                    Will want to get your O2 sensors in and have someone do a PO420 Code delete it is for the after cat sensors which do not affect the tuning, but are a nuisance on the service engine soon indicator light...
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

Will want to get your O2 sensors in and have someone do a PO420 Code delete it is for the after cat sensors which do not affect the tuning, but are a nuisance on the service engine soon indicator light...
                      HP Tuners, you just turn them off.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	iwI1nO7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	286.6 KB ID:	1259066
                        Cool, now add some heat reflecting material to the floor and under the seat, or better yet, build some sheet of aluminum over it to allow some air space between the floor.

Comment

Thanks for all the great feedback and part numbers. I'm currently looking into tuner options as I'll need to delete all sorts of stuff for my application (2003 motor into a 79 pickup).
                          74 Nova Project
                          66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Working...
                          X