Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Stubborn Front Lower Control Arm Bolt - Any Ideas for Removing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Stubborn Front Lower Control Arm Bolt - Any Ideas for Removing?

I'm putting in new front suspension stuff on my 69 chevelle. I got one side done, but new challenges popped up on the other. I had to remove the passenger-side header to get a lower control arm bolt out, but then I couldn't get it out! I sledged it as far as I could and have been trying all sorts of other things to get it all the way out with no luck. I've got about 2-3 threads showing on one side and the bolt head is almost 0.5 inches out, but it doesn't want to budge from here. There's not enough room between the frame and bolt end to keep sledging and I've figured I probably need a special blade to get it with the sawzall, which would cut into the bolt or bushing (from the bottom).

Any ideas?
    Tampa, FL

Re: Super Stubborn Front Lower Control Arm Bolt - Any Ideas for Removing?

a tie rod removal tool (fork) and a hammer. put the fork under the bolt head. and wack the fork with a hammer, use'n the arm as a pivot point..
    comes right out

Comment

I tried the fork while getting it to where it is, although the ball joint and tie rod forks I had were a bit too wide for the bolt.
      Tampa, FL

Comment

I've had luck using a standard 18"-24" pry bar against the head of the bolt, just be careful you aren't bending the housing for the bushing. Another thing I've done is WD-40 the heck out of it, and tap it back and forth a few times.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Sounds like it's rusted into the sleeve in the center of the rubber bushing. They can be a stinker - you got a freebie on the first side! If you can get a Saws All blade in there cut off the head and the tail and pull the control arm out. The stub gets removed with the bushing, of course. You may have to pry the bracket apart slightly - OK if you don't go too far. I've done 'em with the gas wrench but do it outside - the rubber will burn and make a nasty, smoky mess.

Good Luck

Dan

Comment

I say torch......but wear a mask. Dan is right.....That stuff is nasty.

Seth
            200 mph or bust.......

Comment

don't know if you have compressed air , but I use a zip gun [a powerful snap on ] and a punch bit
              drives out pinion gears and stuck bolts

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
                I say torch......but wear a mask. Dan is right.....That stuff is nasty.

Seth

I'm with Seth. Cuttting metal with fire.....Doesn't get more manly then that....
                Cognizant Dissident

Comment

I had the same thing happen on 3 of the 4 bolts on my '86 mustang. Major pain in 'da rear.....

I had the K-member out, so that helped somewhat. Was able to sawzall one bolt head off. Why doesn't this stuff ever twist/snap off when you need it too?

Took the torch to the rest, after heating and soaking for a couple of weeks. The sleeve was permanently rusted to the bolt - I'm betting the 1/2" you got was all in the sleeve moving in the bushing, not the bolt in the sleeve.

Ain't no easy way, best go straight to torching.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

use the fire wrench

Comment

Additional tip - anti-seize the snot out of the new bolt. Either you will bless yourself years from now when you have to remove it, or the next guy who has to get it out will know it was replaced by a real pro at some point. Like sending good Karma out into the world (hey, I lived in Ann Arbor for years).

Dan

Comment

I wussed out on the big fire. I did try a propane torch for a while, but the fires and fumes were too much. I have an acetylene torch, but I don't have great control of what gets cut so I was afraid to try.

My first success was by cutting some washers to get a little more room with the fork. After breaking one of the forks, I used the broken end, the washers, and another fork to get it almost out. I customized a pry bar to get it a little further, but had the header in the way. The header and starter come out/go in as a pair and it is a royal pain (my hooker super comps make some weird turns just to annoy). I still couldn't get it, so I sawzall'd it and hammered the other end through with another bolt and the air hammer. The air hammer came in handy again with the reinstall of that ?!@#$ ?!@#?@ #@?! @#%$ %#&%# &*#@ $^*)( )(&)^ %&*$ bolt (that's really how I feel about it! > )

Thanks for all the tips. When I get better with the acetylene torch, I'll be less nervous to use it on the car.

This is part of the assortment of stuff that it took to get that thing out. I called my local shop and told them how lucky they were that they didn't take the job for their initial estimate ($200).

I still love working on my car. I still love working on my car. I still love working on my car. (but I really sometimes hate it) ;D

Tampa, FL

Comment

my zip gun is my favorite tool

Comment

Easiest way to have done it was with the sawzall, cut the bolt on the inner side of the frame brackets, basically between the frame and the bushing. Once the bolt was cut on both sides the control arm would have simply fallen out. New bushing and bolt and your good to go.

Comment

By the way, in case you didn't know . . . MAP gas burns much hotter than the propane stuff you are using. It's not hot enough to cut with, but heats stuff up a lot faster than propane. Same basic nozzle, just a yellow bottle instead of blue.

I still remember doing this to my Camaro almost 10 year ago now. It was a royal PITA -- I had to use a sawzall on 3 of 4 to get them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X