Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Stubborn Front Lower Control Arm Bolt - Any Ideas for Removing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Super Stubborn Front Lower Control Arm Bolt - Any Ideas for Removing?

The car is getting aligned, so I got all that stuff in there. The last time it was aligned, they couldn't bring a few measurements into spec and suspected the lower bushings, which I couldn't bring myself to go through the effort only for new bushings. I put in stock lowers that I boxed myself (as a 1st real job for the new welder), pst polygraphite bushings, and Speedtech uppers.

I agree with TC and Dan, the sawzall is probably the best bet, but I couldn't get through the bushing metal even though the blade cut the bolt metal like butter (well almost like butter). I do realize I got luckier than many others who have tried this, since 3 of 4 came out semi-easy. Even so, I agree the job is a royal PITA, after putting 3x as much time in that 4th bolt as it took me to do the entire other side!

Thanks for all the tips. I'm hoping these bushing will be good for the rest of my lifetime! :D
    Tampa, FL

Comment

I feel so fortunate! Last winter I did the upper and lower control arm bushings on my '67 T-bird (Idaho/Colorado car?) and my '77 Skylark (So. Cal car) with out too much trouble from either.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

dried out west coasters have it so easy

Comment

If I have one that's a bear to get out,
          I will heat it cherry red w/ a torch,
          and pop it out w/ an air hammer.

Just like butter...

Comment

I love doing frt end work. just make sure that the upper arm mounting bolts dont spin freely in the frame. ( they are splined)
            because if they do it makes it a PITA to align.
            Reading , Pa
            Good Guys rodders rep.
            "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
            Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Working...
            X