Springs/Rockers for Vortec heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springs/Rockers for Vortec heads

So I've got some 062 Vortec heads I'm swapping on to the C25 when the weather gets a bit warmer. I've got most of the parts I need now, but the machine shop I talked to said he needs to know what springs I'm using when I get the valve guides machined. This is the most intrusive work I've done myself, so it's still a learning experience.
    what rockers and valve springs would you recommend? I have OE Vortec valve covers, so not the tallest ones, but if need be, I'll just buy some tall boys. This is still for my daily I should mention.
    Thanks!
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

if i remember right, vortecs take a narrow body/self aligning rocker
    thats different from a gen-1 sbc.... i believe you can use the vortec
    stuff on the gen-1 but NOT vice versa.

however, i have been hit in the head ALOT, so double check that........

springs will be to match the cam.
    Last edited by fatguyzinc; January 8, 2020, 08:59 PM.

Comment

I have a bucket of take (set of springs, retainers, and rockers) offs from vortec heads - they're yours if you want them... I keep them around mostly because I never think to toss them and I figure the folgers can doesn't take much room .... but stock just isn't something I do.
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 8, 2020, 11:09 PM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        .... but stock just isn't something I do.

what is this "stock" thing you speak of?

Comment

I have a set of new, take off ,springs/ retainers/and rockers from a truck crate engine. but the shipping would be nuts.
          While we were researching building it .

If you plan on a cm with any type of lobe lift you'll need to open up the pushrod hole in the head.

Good luck.
          The hot ticket is ls6 or 9 beehive springs and the smaller retainers they use. This gets you a little more lift out of the heads before you get into coil bind and have to cut the heads guide and spring pocket.
          You don't gain a ton, but it allows you to have a taller lift than 0.480" iirc it gets you to 0.520 but again remember the pushrod holes, it is easier to open them up off the engine than on it.
          Last edited by Eric; January 9, 2020, 08:56 PM.

Comment

One of the G.M. f body forums has a ton of threads on this. My old laptop is dead so I don't have that forums name. I want to say 3rd gen, but ..

Comment

Nastyz28.com has the info you need. It's in a sticky thread and everything is there.

Comment

Working...
              X