X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric View Post
    Why would the oem's do that, if it wasn't an issue?
    Well, in my opinion, our automotive engineers have a very colorful past of building solutions to the wrong problem. Instead of improving the assembly line process they chose to change parts to try and compensate for what I believe (and agree) most often is a misalignment issue

Leave a comment:

• Eric
    replied
    I seem to remember reading that the solid lifter high rpm power plants not getting a/c from the factory and the use of deep groove pullies on alt. on many a vehicle that spun to the moon.
    Why would the oem's do that, if it wasn't an issue?
    There had to be a reason.
    Last edited by Eric; January 16, 2020, 11:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fatguyzinc
    replied
    Originally posted by corvettedad View Post

Must be your quality of belt, I been shifting my SBC at 7500 since the 70's with a good ole v-belt........

yep. 461" shifts at 6250 using a regular V-belt
    with not even a squeak, and theres the 440"
    (427+.060) that has the 8200rpm chip in the
    limiter that does just fine with regular V-belts.

as long as your pulley alignment is good and
    theres no 'twist' (usually too small diameter
    bolt/too big hole) when you crank that alternator
    or p/s pump tight, you should be just fine.

or maybe its just me, getting lucky for once.

Leave a comment:

• anotheridiot
    replied
    Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
    My experience is with my 2011 SS Camaro. Replacing the AC belt, personally I think they brought up the depths of HELL!! Now they are not brand specific, Ford has them too. What brain dead engineer thought this one up. You have to roll them on with or without the special tool. If you haven't already had to experience one your in for a treat. Talk amongst yourselves, comments?
    Sounds like some engineer that was upset he had to buy a special tool at some point in his life.

These sound as fun as the huge threads on fans they started putting on water pumps that just make the bearing get eaten up quicker.

Leave a comment:

• corvettedad
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric View Post
    But they don't slip and fly off at 6500 shifts. like most belts used too do .
    I'd call that a great trade off.
    Must be your quality of belt, I been shifting my SBC at 7500 since the 70's with a good ole v-belt, not to mention the main drive serpentine belt with a tensioner on the 11SS that I wind to 6500 stays put.

Leave a comment:

• Eric
    replied
    But they don't slip and fly off at 6500 shifts. like most belts used too do .
    I'd call that a great trade off.

Leave a comment:

• corvettedad
    replied
    Originally posted by Tubbed Pacecar View Post

FIRST AND FOREMOST, DO NOT TRY THIS TECHNIQUE.....PERIOD! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR COPY CATS AND INJURIES! Dont be fooled by copies. This is my hands, in my ...
    Hold my beer and watch this!

Leave a comment:

• Tubbed Pacecar
    replied

FIRST AND FOREMOST, DO NOT TRY THIS TECHNIQUE.....PERIOD! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR COPY CATS AND INJURIES! Dont be fooled by copies. This is my hands, in my ...

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    First experience was with a Mercruiser outboard alternator belt.... sasafrasin' crap!.

Leave a comment:

• corvettedad
    started a topic Stretch belts

Stretch belts

My experience is with my 2011 SS Camaro. Replacing the AC belt, personally I think they brought up the depths of HELL!! Now they are not brand specific, Ford has them too. What brain dead engineer thought this one up. You have to roll them on with or without the special tool. If you haven't already had to experience one your in for a treat. Talk amongst yourselves, comments?
Working...
X