Pontiac 400-t56 adapter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pontiac 400-t56 adapter question

For those of you who have tried the t56 swap behind a Buick olds or Pontiac what did you end up doing as far as mounting the t56 to the bop engine? American Powertrain quoted me for 700$ to get the quick time bellhousing and I’d like to avoid paying that much if possible.

I have a viper t56 rebuilt to run behind a big block meaning it has ls1 Input shaft and a bbc to Mopar t56 Bellhousing with adapter plate and extended pilot bushing.

Could I get a bop to bbc adapter plate then bolt up the engine to plate to bellhousing? Would that work or do I have to spend the 700$ to get the bop to Mopar bellhousing?

my main issue is the price to run the American Powertrain bell. I’m fine with wrenching to get stuff to fit

Here's a link for ya. T-56 into a '71 Cutlass. They used the Quick Time bell housing too. Good luck finding cheap BOP parts.
    https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...cutlass-85774/
    Last edited by oletrux4evr; January 26, 2020, 07:07 PM.
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I took a look at that link you posted. It appears there’s no way to avoid the QuickTime bellhousing. I will have to check with American Powertrain but I’d like to confirm it will still work with a t56 out of a viper. The trans was rebuilt with an ls1 input shaft and was setup to run behind a 454. I do have a build sheet that came with the trans too so I believe it will take a beating

Comment

I'll be interested to hear what they say. Thx.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

They make an adapter to mount a 7004r to a bop.
          That takes the chevy bell pattern the 7004r has to mount to the bop engine.
          Why not see what one of those cost, then have a spacer made to go between the crank flange and the flywheel, it move the flywheel the thickness of the adapter, and you can have the pilot bushing hole machined into the spacer. so the input shaft has what it normally have when seated in the crank end.
          Just a thought, it might be cheaper, or not. depends if you have a friend that can machine that crank flange to flywheel spacer.

Comment

I got about as far as you cannot start with a vette trans for swaps unless you are running the rear end as well.

It got too confusing, found a T-5, was told they were junk. Then was told the T-56 is a six speed version, (still junk?) Then thought I had a deal going but it was a vette trans so not worth converting. Ran into a T-10 from a later model mustang for 400 but apparently he was selling it because he was told it was junk and took too much to convert to the chevy.

I am about convinced they want you to buy an entire kit and do it their way and that goes against my nature.

Comment

If you make an adapter for the crank to flywheel, what happens to the starter?
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

I’m waiting for a response. I’ll let you guys know what ap sais when they get back with me. The issue is whether or not the bell bolt pattern will match with the one ap recommended in the first place. It was described as an ls bellhousing so I want to make sure. When I get an answer I’ll worry about spacers

Comment

Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                      If you make an adapter for the crank to flywheel, what happens to the starter?
                      first thing through my mind too....

Comment

Ok.. In the brutal world of demolition derby...I have used self made and corporate made adaptors to mate chevy/BOPC, while the sides are strong, the top is weak. Have broken the bellhousings by a small pressure onto the tail or motor..so by my experience, I would say the adaptors are fine for normal driving, hard driving, I would not.. Unless you can bolt both motor and bell to the adaptor.. And it is thick enough not to bend, thus breaking.

Comment

Understood. I’m leaning more so to just spending the money and getting the quick time bell. Anybody know what bop 4 speed pedals are going for these days? It’s 200 for the American Powertrain pedal transplant.

Comment

Any Chevelle of the same era should have the proper hanging assembly to pull it off...
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Does the chevelle have a different pedal assembly than bop? American Powertrain rep said this was the case. I thought that all manual a body pedals were the same

Comment

Working...
                              X