2 speed axles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2 speed axles

if i remember correctly , you could get a 2 spd rear as a option on the 70 cougar eliminator. i never seen one in person though.
    Reading , Pa
    Good Guys rodders rep.
    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Some one was telling me he thought there was a 2speed axle in a mid 70s LaMans or CanAm. Does that sound right?

I never heard of it myself.
      Cognizant Dissident

Comment

My 26 Model T Coupe had a 2 speed Ruxtall Rear End. I installed the Rocky Mountain Brake Setup on it. I would like to see someone redesign and build a new CNC'd rear setup for Road Racing. It could be interesting. It had a noticable Torque increase from one gear to the next. The 3 Pedal Drive was fun to learn. I used to park the Car and tell my friends that they could have it, if they could drive it away on the first try. My Old Next Door neighbor (83 Years Old) had no problem driving it, taking his wife out on Picnics. He just liked driving it and Cruising around Town.

Comment

I wouldn't want a 2 speed axle because the extra parts would increase the unsprung weight. Putting the OD in or right behind the tranny is better.

Comment

Hey Leon, nice to see you over here.

If I had a long single piece driveshaft I'd be willing to trade the weight for the reduced shaft speed. I don't like 2 piece shafts since my 70 Riviera blew a carrier bearing and my '64 siezed a CV joint on powertour last year.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by racincuda
              For a cheap OD trans you might consider the manual Dodge used in the 80s, a lot came in 6 cyl half ton trucks, Aluminum case & tail housing, Dont remember model number but it's almost identical in appearance to the 833 that was used in muscle cars. Dont discount this trans just cuz the factory installed it with a 6 popper, It will easily handle a big block if you drive sanely, or have really skinny tires, some pass cars used it as as well and IIRC it came stock with a hurst shifter. Any good machine shop worth thier weight in dirt can do the required machine work to make it work with your cruzer.
              That transmission is an A-833, just with a different gearset and the 3-4 shift linkage works backwards. It has an extra-large pilot hole but is otherwise not very different from the standard A-833. There's an article on them here:

I haven't driven one, so I can't comment about how it shifts.

Comment

Working...
              X