Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission cooler

Howdy,

I was thinking last night while measuring the clearance around my transmission cooler for a fan about even needing one. Its located off to one side of the front of the car with air flow coming in just fine when I'm moving but when I'm stopped there is nothing to push air through it. I do not have much clearance around it so fitting a fan in there would have to be like a 6in pusher or something really tiny like a pair of 120mm computer case fans on the back due to tire clearance. Do I need a fan for when I'm stationary or is that just overkill?

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Transmission cooler

How much stall speed does the converter have?
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I just have a B/M cooler on my tranny and it?s quite large, running normally my temp peaks at 180?.
      Having said that there is one stretch of road here that will make my car suffer, if I get stuck in traffic there
      for just twenty minutes the tranny will go to 210?.
      I bought me a small fan from Summit to add to the cooler, one I could operate from inside the car, switch is
      already there.
      Somehow I?ve still not got around to fitting the fan but now this thread has reminded me it will move up the have to do list.
      Even if it got used maybe twice a year it?s nice to know you have that option when things get hot.

Apart from all that I have to treat my stuff with care replacement can get expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
        How much stall speed does the converter have?
        Stock '67 Wildcat switch pitch for now, will be a 2800 stall turbo converter for the 4L80E.

I'm wondering if 120cfm out of a pair of computer fans would be enough for sitting around in traffic. With the B&M megashifter I tend to put it neutral when I'm not moving for more than around a minute.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

How about a motorcycle cooling fan.. They're pretty compact and obviously designed for an automotive environment. I wouldn't recomend a PC fan.

I've been considering doing the same thing..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NINJA...lenotsupported

Comment

trans fluid has to be 175 degrees for proper lubrication -too cool is not too good
            on gm trucks with aux trans collers - the trans fluid runs thru the radiator first , then out to the aux cooler

all the trucks have trans temp gauges and they take a good long tiime to get warm
            lockup convertors really make things cool - that 4L80e should be ok without the fan
            run a gn intercooler fan on the crank pulley and mount the cooler there - no wiring

Comment

No room in front of the engine, the engine is 3in forward of where the nailhead to get the AC compressor to clear and the raditator is pushed back to make room for the intercooler and AC condesnor. I got no space that isn't claimed by plumbing or fan.
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Have you thought of trying a Lincoln Mark VIII fan........it is big enough to cover the whole radiator so the trans cooler has pulling across it most of the time.....they have been rated upto 4500 cfm.........

After finding out that the Mark VIII fan was too much for the SPAL V3 to handle, I decided to scrap the whole controller idea and make up my own harness/diagrams for a hopefully trouble free system. I designed it so that it operates much like an electric fan in newer cars. It also has a high...
                That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

If your getting air flow through the cooler then a fan really isn't needed. Also Yank converters states that you really don't need a trans cooler until you get over 3000rpm and if it's a lock-up style converter they say over 3500rpm. As for coolers here's the one I put on my '99 Camaro. It's a plate style cooler with a Spal fan and the thing I like the most is the fan has a shroud.

And here's the link

Comment

Nice piece.........Im curious which way did you mount it? Which do you have the fittings facing to the bottom, top, or side?
                    That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

I got a couple of 90* fittings and they come out the bottom and go to the side. There's not much room on my '99 Camaro to mount it, so I mounted in to the core support under the radiator running parallel to the ground.

Comment

are you running the 9.5 inch convrter TC ?

Comment

Originally posted by 383S-10
                          Have you thought of trying a Lincoln Mark VIII fan........it is big enough to cover the whole radiator so the trans cooler has pulling across it most of the time.....they have been rated upto 4500 cfm.........

After finding out that the Mark VIII fan was too much for the SPAL V3 to handle, I decided to scrap the whole controller idea and make up my own harness/diagrams for a hopefully trouble free system. I designed it so that it operates much like an electric fan in newer cars. It also has a high...
                          Taurus fan right now, will be grabbing a Mk VIII fan this weekend as an upgrade if needed. The Taurus fan covers the full width of the core but leave around 2in on the bottom and 1in on the top of the radiator uncovered.

Also the cooler is located next too the radiator outside the front frame rail and infront of the front tire, no way any sort of radiator fan will really infulence how much air goes through it as it opens into the wheel well not the engine bay.
                          Central TEXAS Sleeper
                          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                            must be 4:20 - flare up ya heater !

Comment

must be 4:20 - flare up ya heater !

Sorry Spidey been busy preparing for the party.

I believe it is a 10 inch converter with a 3800 stall. Makes for some fun driving around town. ;)

Funny thing is some people think the car has a manual transmission, because of the way it rpm's when you take off.

Comment

Working...
                              X