Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Like I'd have the time to try it... LSx in a Caterra?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like I'd have the time to try it... LSx in a Caterra?

Ok, it's not like I need any more projects. But I spied a somewhat ratty but allegedly running Cadillac Caterra for a mere $1,100 at a local used car lot. Now, I figure it needs a lot of work, and I don't have time for that now, but deals like this seem to pop up pretty often. And it seems the worst complaints about Caterras (however you spell it) seem to be fragile and underpowered drivetrains. It seems GM got things right in Europe and the Euro equivalent had LS1 power. How much work would it be to correct that mistake on a US market one?

Re: Like I'd have the time to try it... LSx in a Caterra?

How big is your hammer, good are your welding skills, and how much Caddy has to be left when you are done?
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

isn't that the caddy that zigs? too bad when gm built it they should have been zagging.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It probably isn't easy.......But nothing worth doing is.

I think that would be pretty Badass.....I would do it for CHEAP though. Junkyards and CL.

Seth
        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

From what I understand the Catera is based on the Opel and it has a totally different front suspension setup than the cars that came with LSX power.

Comment

Biggest engine in its Opel Omega brother in Europe,is the 377 hp twin turboed L6 from Lotus.But thats in its MK1 version.The MK2 version that the Catera builds from,havent got that engine.But i think they share the same chassis..not sure on that though.

Comment

that 3.0 or 3.2 is miserable , they throw timing belts and bend valves
              caddy and saturn , I got to be the opel V6 expert
              I thought the same about the catera , but it has a huge ZF steering box in the engine compartment , and it really is narrow , the gto is similar but widenened
              has the thm overdrive 5 speeed trans that is based on the th180 , used in bmw too , can't take much torque
              flimsy getrag rear axle
              those cars can't be selling for more than 5 dollars , they totally suck

Comment

I've thought about a turbo 3800 Series II in one, that would probably be an easier fit though the rear axle would have to changed as well as the trans.

Also thought about a 500 Caddy monster with a tube frame and solid rear axle set up for drag racing, hmmmmm..............
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by Memphis
                  From what I understand the Catera is based on the Opel and it has a totally different front suspension setup than the cars that came with LSX power.
                  Interesting tidbit at the end of this article:

"The Catera's basic platform/chassis continued in use until September 2006 in the North American Pontiac GTO."

Part numbers suggest they may be too different to be a direct swap though.

Comment

Same platform is under the Middle East Chevrolet Caprice. It's possible...though, I don't know how to speak Kuwaiti to get you the right part number..
                    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
                      Originally posted by Memphis
                      Interesting tidbit at the end of this article:

"The Catera's basic platform/chassis continued in use until September 2006 in the North American Pontiac GTO."

Part numbers suggest they may be too different to be a direct swap though.
                      and I quote "thought the same about the catera , but it has a huge ZF steering box in the engine compartment , and it really is narrow , the gto is similar but widenened"

Comment

a grand national V6 is wider than a bbc
                        the not so good 3800 heads were used on the trans am in 89
                        maybe a 3.4 ....mmmm NO

Comment

/We've got Repaira's running out our ass(s) here.

Like SGM says, they're too narrow for anything worth putting in. The "rails" turn in heavily past the gigantic steering box.
                          Not much room underneath, but that could be fixed with tubing.
                          The accessory drive and hood profile up front would be the problem. Even the air inlet tubing and front of the intake on a Repaira is turned down...and rubs the hood. Add 6" of front engine length, and, if you somehow managed to, literally, squeeze an LS engine in, it would require cutting a tunnel for the intake up front...and leave virtually no room for the requisite larger radiator to boot.
                          I cant even imagine if its even possible to run a tube exhaust on a v8. The drivers side tubing would have to go almost through the rails and exit through the strut tower...and it would be necessary to remove the entire abs system and replumb the brake pipes, remove the brake booster (its HUGE...and almost hits the v/cover NOW), and remove the wiper motor/arm assembly (its withing 1/2" of the rear intake resonance valve and upper manifold now).

Its just too narrow, too shallow, and too short lengthwise to be worth it.

Comment

Did you not read the SERIES II Spidey???

The 3800 Series II is a shorter deck and narrower version of the classic Buick V6. It might not fit but it'd be closer than the older 3.8L. Its also has better internals with cross bolted mains, roller valve train, on center block design, and gerotor oiling. The L36 NA heads flow much better too than the old 8445's or the FWD heads from the TTA. Stick to Chevy stuff or pay more attention.
                            Central TEXAS Sleeper
                            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

The Catera(Opel Omega)probably works best with a Lotus Twin Turbo L6...lets set back,and enjoy this clip everybody....

A standard lotus omega (377 hp) against a Swedish civilian police car (Saab 9 5 turbo 190 hp) well they did not have a chance to Begin with :-) rumor has it ...

Comment

Working...
                              X